DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 98 Dodge Ram 1500 and it wont start. The battery charge is fine. When I hold down the gas peddle it will start and will run as long as I keep my foot on the peddle, as soon as I let up the truck dies any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey all, I read a couple of posts and tried hitting the bottum of my gas tank a couple times. It started right up let it ran for a while turned it off and then tried to start it again and did the same thing. Is this the fuel pump? Im not quite sure any help would be great.

·
voo doo 1 I am buggin out
6,355 Posts
I was gonna suggest the battery since the 2nd Gen's are dependant on the battery. Maybe try another battery even though you say the battery is good just for sh*ts and giggles.
Not sure about banging the tank portion though .. could be a clogged filter as well

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
I would have suggested the IAC on the throttle body.
I've never heard of banging on the fuel tank.

·
Registered
236 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just hold your foot on the pedal just above idle.. try it.. :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That works until I take my foot off completly then it stops. If I hold it just above idle it will run all day.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
If you like I can explain how to set the idle via the set screw (that's capped off).

·
voo doo 1 I am buggin out
6,355 Posts
I wouldnt mess with the idle screw but thats is me ...... I would try another battery ... got nothing to lose.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
sherdep said:
I wouldnt mess with the idle screw but thats is me ...... I would try another battery ... got nothing to lose.
why not? setting the idle screw is free, a good replacement battery is $60-$80.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay I was out messing with it again and pounded on the bottum of the fuel tank and it started right up. I let it idle for about 10 minutes and after about 5 minutes what seemed to be the fuel solinod started clicking so I let it run a little longer and then turned it off. It would not start back up again although I didnt try pounding the fuel tank again. What could be the problem I am having?

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
sounds like fuel pump then if tapping it makes it start.

·
Registered
247 Posts
When I left the interrior light on gone night in the garage the battery was dead the next morning. I quick charged the battery and the trusk would start right up but once I tool my foot off the gas it died instantly. Like the post someonthe suggestted you read I disconnected the battery for a minute and once hooked back up started and idled fine. It's a memory thing.

Mark

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.