DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 1999 Ram 1500 with the 5.2L V8 and automatic, 125k miles, from the original owner. It has been pretty much parked for the last two years.

Runs great, the steering did have a couple of inches of play at first, but I followed the DIY to adjust the steering box and tightened it right up.

Only other issue right now is an intermittent starting problem. At first it would start instantaneously, but every now and then you would turn the key and just get a 'click', it would not even try to crank at all. You would give it a couple of more tries and then it would suddenly fire right up like nothing was wrong. I read through the forums and decided to change the starter relay.

Did that, and now I no longer get the intermittent 'click'. But, a new problem has now come up. Again, many times it will start instantly. But if it doesn't, it will either crank for a good 10 seconds and then sputter to life, or it will get about a 1/4 crank in and stop cranking. The first time it stopped cranking I thought it was a battery issue, but after a few failed cranks it did one of the extended cranking start-ups, so it had the power to crank, just didn't for some reason.

Had the battery (3 years old) tested and charged and it doesn't seem to be the issue.

Thoughts? Seems weird that it would start instantly every time it cranked until I replaced the starter relay. Now I always get it to at least try and crank, but it doesn't start as well as it used to...

·
BuRnIn MeTaL MoPaR
166 Posts
well the spin and stop could be a failing starter. or intermittent relay (check both starter and fuel pump relays) due to extended crank time

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.