DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L I am having some starting issues with.

When below freezing, the starter will engage, but only turn the engine over 2-3 times. Usually not enough to start it. Even with a boost it does not matter. Once the engine is warm, it's not an issue, but I am certain only because 2-3 revolutions is enough for the engine to fire.

In an effort to resolve the issue I have already put in a new starter and new battery, but no change. Any thoughts or suggestions on what to check next would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all. I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L I am having some starting issues with.

When below freezing, the starter will engage, but only turn the engine over 2-3 times. Usually not enough to start it. Even with a boost it does not matter. Once the engine is warm, it's not an issue, but I am certain only because 2-3 revolutions is enough for the engine to fire.

In an effort to resolve the issue I have already put in a new starter and new battery, but no change. Any thoughts or suggestions on what to check next would be greatly appreciated!!
Getting a new starter cable could help, for colder conditions you will want to get a thicker AWG cable, you may also want to purchase a cable with 100% copper to ensure less voltage drop, we do offer cables if you want to browse our website. Some factory made cables use Aluminum Copper Alloy to keep costs down, but this reduces the conductivity. They are cheaper but they aren't guaranteed to fix the problem if what your using now hasn't worked. Our cables are meant to last, in the long run it might save you money.

·
Registered
33 Posts
When you are connecting the boost, do you connect the boost ground to the battery ground, or, ground to the engine? Try grounding to the engine if you haven't done so already.
Read the battery voltage before trying to start. Voltage should be 12.6v at least, 12.8 is better. Take a second reading with positive multimeter lead on the battery, and negative lead on the engine. They should be exactly the same reading.
Have someone start the truck while you read the battery voltage at the battery, what does the voltage drop to? It should drop no lower than 9.6V during start.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts