DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear I’m getting a nice big list of little things to fix.

Ok. So I drove my truck like I always do. Nothing out of the ordinary. I stopped it. Shut it off and went into the house for about an hour. When I went to start it again it just “clicked”, specifically one click. I took a volt meter to the batteries and both are showing 13.75 Vdc. The dash gage shows the battery at just a tick below 14. So that makes sense. I tried jumping it. But I just get the “click”. I’m guessing the starter just died. It’s the original starter on the truck too.
Any ideas? Or am I on the right path?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Yup, sounds like starter contacts need changing. You might check your battery connections to be sure.
If you have a local rebuilder nearby, I recommend letting them fix you up unless you want that project. You'll need a set of starter contacts, available online or local rebuilder.

Maybe your local chain type auto parts store.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-help-starter-rebuild-kit-02349/22147948-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=22147948-P&adtype=pla_with_promotion&gclid=CjwKCAjw2rjcBRBuEiwAheKeL8uxm4sgo0fsxiY7S7zEUb7UaqZIEptqW1sGMcaTwnwIDVKJfcsrkhoCE-UQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIvFwYnKot0CFccOgQodB_UK-Q

A coupla good videos,

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent! I found a rebuild kit at fostertruck.com. Wanted to know if you have any advice with doing it myself. Also. I found that one of my neg batt cable was cracked. It’s not locking down on the terminal post very well. So I wanted to replace all of them too. Just to be sure. Same site has a full kit for it too. Looks pretty easy to do. Clunk, if you have any other kits I should look at or you prefer let me know! Thanks again!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New issues with the truck is my DTC code I got was a p1698. Says something about the starter? Could all this be related to the batteries and the starter?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Sorry, that code is something else and looks like trouble. I recommend you reset that trouble code and hope it doesn't come back,

P1698 No CCD/J1850 Message From TCM No CCD/J1850 messages received from the electronic
transmission control module (EATX) or the Aisin
transmission controller.

P1698 No CCD Messages received from PCM
Bus communication failure to PCM. A Companion DTC
was set in both the ECM and PCM.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup. That’s what I saw too. It actually said NO BUS where the odometer is. And also said something about it being “severe damage” if not fixed immediately and should not be driven. Cleared it, but the check engine light won’t go out. Google pulled up a bunch of stuff about it. Most of its not related to a dodge truck, but a dodge caravan. One link said that it’s from a bad starter sensor. No real leads yet so down the internet rabbit hole I go.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok! Did the starter rebuild kit from Larry B’s. It was easy! And the truck starts perfectly. Still can’t get rid of the check engine light. But I haven’t hooked up my scanner to it yet. Let a friend borrow it.

So here are some pointers for the rebuild kit. You’ll need 12pt sockets for the 3 bolts that hold the starter on. 2 you’ll need a pen torch to attach the pig tails if you choose to rebuild the brushes too. Take a lot of heat and a precious flame so you don’t torch the resistances stuff, or plastic in it.

What I know about the code? Seems like a power issue. There is a 5v sensor that seems to give that fault if it looses power. I figured with the battery terminals being crap that might have caused it. So once I get the scanner back I’ll test it, clear it, and see if it comes back.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.