DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the new owner of a 2000 Laramie SLT 5.9 liter inline turbocharged six cylinder diesel with 85,000 miles under her belt. On two occasions about a month ago I heard the starter fail to disengage after the motor caught. Thought oh crap, what's coming down the pipeline but didn't do anything. A week later the engine failed to start one evening. (No turnover of starter) I checked the starter solenoid fuse under the hood and found it blown. Replaced same and all was well for a month. Now It has happened again. I replaced the fuse but it blew in twenty-four hours. Like the mule that's been hit over the head with a two by four, I am now paying attention. Anyone out there experienced this and can anyone tell me whether to replace just the solenoid or go for the starter and solenoid in one fell swoop. I've read a lot of these threads looking for the answer but have decided to cut to the chase. I need to get to the parts store before they close. Thanks for the input and help. This site is wonderful.

Doogie Hyzer

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have the same truck 2000 dodge 3500 with 260000 mi. I have been replacing the fuses and sometimes it blows them and sometimes it wont. What I have tried is putting a 30 in there instead of the 20 but it still blows them. and now i am looking into an engine start button. I am currently starting the truck by puting it in neutral, turn the key to on position,opening the hood, and unplugging the wire to the starter and touch it straigt to thebattery untill it starts... which is less than a second. this is just temporary untill i can find the answer to our problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I own a 2000 2500 CTD with 115,000 and about a month ago I ran into the same exact problem. I got into my truck one afternoon, and she wouldn't start. At the time I had a corroded battery, I replaced the battery and checked the Starter Solenoid fuse and it was blown. A month later and it hasn't blown again. I like to think the bad battery caused mine to blow. I'm sure I will have to replace the starter within the nex 10,000. Sometimes when I adjust the steering wheel my radio shorts out for a brief second as though I started the truck. Anybody ever had that problem? I think it may be a loose ground wire or a short causing it.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
i had the same problem with the fuses for the starter blowing and i kept replacing them untill the starter went out and i had to tow in the truck and have a new starter put in but when my fuses started blowing i only got the truck started a few more times times untill the starter finally went out and i was in cold weather when this happened

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.