DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am looking to find out where my starter relay is on my 1993 dodge ram van, 2500, 318 motor.
any suggestions. i ordered one yesterday and need to get it in soon.

thanks for your help. i hope my knowledge will be able to help someone in here. i did warranty for chrysler for 20 years. the dealer that i worked at is now closed.

Patti

·
AirFuelEddie
5,442 Posts
On Vans it may be under the hood near the ASD/Purge solenoid and other relays. It will have a large red lead connected to the battery and the starter motor itself. try looking near the battery itself for the relays, Chrysler places them all together next to each other.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
The starter relay is located on firewall, lower left of the brake booster...right near the engine opening. It sits by itself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
still not the fixer

thank you to all that have replyed by the way. Ok so far i've changed the starter/solinoid, and the starter relay. And i pulled the key switch plug out to see if im getting juice to the key sw. and if the key side is working when it is ingaged and that seems good on both sides. And still i can't get it to turn over via the key sw. i've checked all fuses i can find and they are good, but i am able to get it to turn over and start by jumping the starter. pulling what little hair out i have left. Does anyone have any ideas.... Bill H.

·
Banned
3,120 Posts
Could be a bad neutral safety switch down on the tranny. This switch supplies ground to the starter relay whenever the tranny is in neutral or park, allowing the relay to energize. If the switch is bad and not supplying ground to the relay, it won't turn on the starter because it thinks the tranny is in gear.

·
AirFuelEddie
5,442 Posts
With an assistant, are you getting any current at the starter lug,(Red), when the ignition switch is turned to start? You should have 12+ volts or battery voltage at the relay with the igniton switch on the ON position KEEO,(Key On Engine Off). The ignition switch is tied in to the starter relay, neutral safety switch, alternator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

It was the neutral safty switch. it was unplugged. ( dont tell anyone) i plugged it back in and it started right up. I want to thank all that helped us. Ya know being a service writter and when that message come in i wanted to smack myself. I should of thought that. its been a few years that i am away from a desk so i totally forgot about it. well thanks again.

If i can help anyone with warranty questions i sure will give it a try.

Thanks, Patti

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.