DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the past couple of months I have had this problem with my 99 Dodge Caravan. It takes me several attempts to get the engine to turn over. When it is cold its worse. Sometimes it just clicks, sometimes it turns over but not all the way. We thought it was the battery so we replaced it, but it is still doing the same thing. It sounds like a starter problem but I was hoping to get some ideas from this website. Thanks!!

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
first off, welcome to the site

since you have ruled out the battery already, I'd say checking the starter would be next on my list ...

and if it is ... it might be leaving you stranded soon ...

Most local auto parts stores have a tester - Can you get it off ?

Take it down and have it bench tested - its free and you will know for sure ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, now that was fast! Thank you so much for the info...now we've got to look up how to take off the starter...any suggestions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you SO much RAM MAN, I will go out and see if I can get it off. You have been great!!! I will always use this site prior to visiting any shop...thanks again!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
the starter come off by loosening out 2 or 3 bolts

But, disconnect the battery first

and take the wires off the starter before you try take it out; the buts on the terminal lugs are a lot easier to loosen off when the starter is securely fastened to the engine

With your safety goggles on, wash off the terminal block on the starter with a cleaning fluid - I use brake cleaner and remove as much grease and swarf from the starter with cleaner and rags as you can; it is much easier to grip the starter when it comes time to actually remove

get a haynes or chilton manual before you start - they are cheap and there is a confidence that comes with knowing what you are doing

·
Registered
9 Posts
Completely, please keep us posted. I'm having the exact same proble w/ my '96 status. BTW, are you blowing any fuses? I've clean all contacts from the battery to starter including the ground that runs from the strut tower to the tranny. I've jumped the starter relay (credit mtnman) and same results, so the problem is somewhere between relay and starter. Not switch to relay. Good luck, let me know.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sounds like a solenoid is bad. The good news is it is rebuildable. I have the URLs for parts and rebuild instructions, unfortunately not on the road with me. I will post them when I get back on Monday. It's a simple fix for under $50. Rebuilt starter motor is pricey. If you have a local starter re-builder, take it there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.