DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I made a mistake today while I was leaving the taco bell for lunch. About two months ago I installed a push button start in my truck, the kind that pushes in and is supposed to pop back out so the starter doesn't remain engaged. Well I start my truck and I thought the button popped back out, but im drivin down the road, approx 5 miles, and hear this whisping sound. When I make back to work I pop the hood to see whats going, and all I can see is smoke coming from my starter and a god awful smell. I checked my start button and somehow it got hung up and didnt pop back out as it was supposed. I waited a few mins and tried to start the truck again. The truck is starting, but im wondering what kind of damaged could've been or was caused by this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have the starter override, but when i wired the push button the start i had to bypass that.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,195 Posts
magnum_ram said:
i have the starter override, but when i wired the push button the start i had to bypass that.
yowzers... usually when that happens you can seriously mess up the engine because spark plugs can still being shooting sparks during your intake stroke causing predetonation bending your valves.
but if it still runs fine maybe that isn't the problem. i think you just melted your wires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KaPPaBaLL said:
yowzers... usually when that happens you can seriously mess up the engine because spark plugs can still being shooting sparks during your intake stroke causing predetonation bending your valves.
but if it still runs fine maybe that isn't the problem. i think you just melted your wires.
I dont think it messed anything up in the engine. Or atleast so far i cant tell. It kinda sounded like the started wanted to engage but couldnt
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,195 Posts
magnum_ram said:
I dont think it messed anything up in the engine. Or atleast so far i cant tell. It kinda sounded like the started wanted to engage but couldnt
probably fried that then.
i'd uninstall the push button starter and if anything in the future happens to the engine or starter you can take it back to the dealer for full warranty work.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top