DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally broke down and bought some good header gaskets for my truck and figured while i was in there to just do a tune up and what not at the same time. Oh and i also got my steering box stabilizer in today as well but here is most of the parts. Also i'm reattaching my window vent visors, an hopfully fixing the mounting bracket on my CAI.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Good luck on your project!!

Take your time and don't rush things like I did!! :ugh LOL!!!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well everything went off without a hitch, well that is until I started it up. I now have an exhaust leak, but its not from my headers this time. This time the leak is coming from the collecter where it meets the y-pipe, and this i'm not sure how to fix yet.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
some of that ceramic clay occasionaly works. after it bakes on from a few heat cycles, paint the area and keep the rust from creaping under it and poping it off.
just a suggestion.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Looks like time to consider a small inexpensive welder.
That to me is why I quit running headers. They seem to be a PITA. Unless you spend $700-$800 for a pair.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
congrates on the new parts:rck:....go choice in wires and especially the steering brace....the boxed brace is the only way to go....:gr_patrio....cant wait for the install pics:photo:......:gr_patrio

edit....did you have to sqeeze the down pipes to get them to fit....i believe someone makes a donut gasket for the collectors....ball/socket collector

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With what I found the hell bent brace was the way to go, boxed and decently priced. I didn't get any pictures through out the install but the instructions are very detailed and go step by step for easy install. If your installing it by your self make sure you have a jack or jack stand to help aid the process, I had to rebuild my bottle jack half way through because the seal was shot. But i'll post pics up after i get back to the house.

For the plugs i finally broke down and bought a magnetic plug socket, and boy does that make things easier.

For the headers there is not a gasket between the collector and the y-pipe. I think what i am going to end up doing is leave the headers installed, pull the flanges loose and slide the entire exhaust system back to make sure there isn't any debris in the socket, if not I picked up some exhaust repair tape and i'll drape it over the edges of the flange before i bolt it all back together. If that doesn't work I might try the clay as spun suggested.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not the best picture, but i'll post some more up after I get the exhaust fixed and her all washed up.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So my attempt at a quick fix of tape failed, although it did quiet the leak a little bit. I remember when we were installing them we got into a bit of a hurry and the header flange didn't seat right and we bent it slightly. So my plan now is to pull the header tomorrow throw the manifold back in place so I can get to work and school while I fix the problem. So much for a weekend project, I still need to wash, wax and clean it out.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is the purpose for the brace? I haven't seen that before.
The brace ties both frame rails together to give it some more rigidity. It also has another plate on there where you add another bearing to the steering box as well.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
woot woot, I got the header to seal up now. When I pulled the header out to look at the flange this evening I noticed that it was out of round. After getting my caliper out it was, about 3mm or so. But after some work with a mallet on the anvil, and a large socket i got it trued up and mounted back in with no noise on start up. Next up is a wash and wax depending on how the weather holds up

·
Driven to perfection
862 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.