Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,

A new member here, recently acquired a 96' 2.4L 4cylinder gas GC last May 04. Living here in the Philippines and my GC is an American version. My problem occur last February 05, it become dead while cruising at any speed,meaning any step on the gas pedal had no response on the engine and it will glide until at 0kph and tachometer dropping to 0 and then dead. When you park it and keep it on cool for at least 5mins or up to an hour, then it will start and moved to certain km almost 5km or so then the same thing happen it will stall again, when you try to start it after it stalled it will start but the tachometer will drop to zero then stall. I've taken it to our local Chrysler service center, and analyze and change the ignition coil module. But the same thing just happen again, then back to the service center. They are saying now that the "fuel is lean" and said that the fuel pump is defective???
Need your HELP PLEASE!!! Thank You.

·
Registered
984 Posts
It sure does sound like a fuel pump problem. Here's the way to make sure: do you notice if the problem goes away if your fuel tank is full, and gets worse as you get down below a half-tank? If that's the case, then you can be pretty sure it's the fuel pump.

I replaced mine myself. The pump is in your fuel tank. The part was about $150-$160 if memory serves. If you're going to tackle this repair yourself (or even as a courtesy to the repair shop) drive the thing around until the fuel level is as low as you dare. That way the tank will be lighter and less of a juggling act to remove without spillage.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Rick

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I fill my tank at 3/4 full and goes to 1/4 then gas again. Do you think that my fuel pump still works or in-good condition and full tank is the reason to eliminate the stalling. The mechnic just bring down the fuel tank, and said it has water in it and the strainer is dirty, but the fuel pump was tested or powered-up and works fine. He'll try to replace the strainer and cleaned the tank, and I'll have it tank full and observe the performance. Do you also mean that the GC cannot be driven at 1/4 gas? With the cost of fuel now, that means I will be carrying a 75liters of fuel most of the time? Or my fuel pump is already defective? Thanks Again

·
Registered
121 Posts
jimvil said:
With the cost of fuel now, that means I will be carrying a 75liters of fuel most of the time? Or my fuel pump is already defective? Thanks Again
Gas costs the same amount as you use it, no matter how much gas you have in your tank. It will cost at first to fill it up, but once you are there, the only way to save gas is to drive less, and use a light touch on the accelerator.

You should not drive with a nearly-empty tank. This can damage the fuel pump, as it relies on being covered with gasoline to operate properly. Better to have the tank closer to full than closer to empty.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Interesting thing I discovered about the fuel gauge in my 96 T&C. I have the on-board computer that gives you a distance-to-empty readout, and I'd always get real nervous when it got down around 0 (which also reads as E on the dashboard gauge). Then one day it slipped my mind, and I went almost 11 miles on 0 before I remembered to go to a gas station. I observed that, even at or near zero, I never added more than 17 gallons of gas to my van. Yet my Chilton's manual said the tank holds 20 gallons. I checked other sources: same thing, 20 gallons. Just for grins, I threw a jerry can of gas in the back and drove around on 0 to see how far I'd get. When it still hadn't quit after 34 miles (a gallon and a half, given my mileage experience), and I was starting to get bored, I finally filled it up.

So what I figure is happening here is they calibrate both the dashboard gauge and on-board computer to read empty when you still have 3 gallons left, for the sole purpose of protecting that fuel pump. Good design, I say.

But back to jimvil's problem:

You can certainly drive the vehicle with any amount of fuel in it you want. All I'm saying is that if your stalling issue is caused by a bad fuel pump, it will be worse when the tank is low, and better or even non-existent when the tank is full. If the stalling happens regardless of how much gas is in the vehicle, then the stalling is caused by something else.

Hope that helps.

Rick

·
Registered
215 Posts
Jimvil, if you do end up needing to replace the fuel pump, denso released their OEM products to the after market, so we can buy our fuel pumps, starters, alternators, etc now at a fraction of the dealer cost - DensoProducts.com carries all of these parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.