DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for anyone's experience driving this car in the snow. I'm getting ready to lease an RT AWD due to the snow here in the north, but I have been seeing a few posts that say the SRT is pretty good in the snow.

Thoughts?

Will I survive a drive in the winter with the SRT?

THX!

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
How much snow and where do you live. If you get a foot of snow at a time neither would be any good. 2 to 6 inches they both would go thru the same I would imagine. The only difference would be the tire grip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Drove mine all last winter in Minnesota with no issues.

Just remember tha tthe hardest part is getting going from a stop. ESP does not like wheel slippage and will try to cut the throttle. Here's how you get around that:

1) Turn off ESP
2) Autostick into 2nd gear
3) Ease into throttle

You'll pull away just fine and all is well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I believe the SRT8 is lower than the RT by about 1/2 inch... the lower front air dam will also give you problems in deep snow. I let mine hibernate for the winter and I drive a little Suzuki 4x4 instead...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought that AWD cuz up here in Alberta, we get dumped on like crazy and even though I've read posts about the RWD being good in snow, I just couldnt chance it.
I think my AWD RT is the only car that can get through snow - everyone up here has trucks!
My AWD is EXCELLENT in the snow, just sucks if they havent plouded at all, its hard to push all the snow around, but its excellent on ICE!!!

But I also have winters on it <-- a must have up here :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine was awesome in the snow, it depends I think on the snow you get, your tires and also how you drive

·
Registered
37 Posts
I drove mine all winter. I also must add that I got a tire wheel package from the Tire Rack. It was a set of 19X8 ASA wheels and 255/55 19 Pirrelli Scorpion tires. The car drove wonderfully. Better than my wifes Charger RT on the stock all seasons. We had a total of three events here 1st 3-4 inches, 2nd 2 inches ice then 3 inches snow on top, 3rd 6 inches snow. I live north of Washington DC near the Frederick Md. area. The area is very hilly due the mountains getting started. My wife got stuck twice. Once we had to call a truck to get her moving. Needless to say after that experience I will be getting tires for her next year.

Bottom line... Car is fine in the snow, but get the tires for the winter. I paid $89 per rim (discontinued) and 179.00 per tire.

·
Quadder
433 Posts
I do not own an SRT but last january i was visiting family in Erie Colorado after the notorious december storms and one night while at their home I caught the blue light of expensive headlights shooting down the street. I went to the window to check it out and there was a black 300c SRT8 stuck in the snow out in front of the house on a slight hill. I went outside and could see that the owner was spinning the tires and rocking the car back and forth. I helped him rock it and did the gas while he pushed. The limited slip was getting a good workout. The sound of the exhaust echoing off of the houses as the traction control let the tires spin then cut them off was cool. After some digging in the poorly plowed mush snow we were able to get the car backed into the driveway and he pointed the car downhill the other way and powerslid his way out of the neighborhood. When he hit the street snow bank I could hear his front spoiler crunch. That must have been a fun trip to wherever he was going. He was running the all season tires also jeez.

Sweet car very comfy for the 10 minutes i sat in it.
I like the magnum SRT better though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dunlop WinterSport M3's + AWD will make you unstoppable! Best non-studded snow tire I've ever driven on and they handle well in the dry too! As always, it's more the nut behind the wheel than the car's setup, but I digress...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.