DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 05 srt-4 this weekend. Im loving it though the people I keep blowing by probably dont like it too much. Anyways I was thinking about getting at least the first 2 stages of upgrades but since I live in metro Atlanta I have to do emissions tests in 2years. I talked to the service department and they said they won't even do the upgrades because of emissions, but I talked to an owner of an emissions station and he said in 96 and new cars they just check to make sure the check engine light isnt on.

Wanted to get your opinions and any info you can offer.

·
Hemi and SRT we do it all
437 Posts
It depends on what your specific area looks for on an inspection. Most places do just look for a check engine light. Some places also hook up a scanner to look for stored engine codes (which the stage upgrades do cause even though the light isn't on!), and worst case they hook up a tailpipe tester and see how much pollution your car puts out compared to when it was new. So ask around and see which one they do in Atlanta. If its just a visual for a light you're good to go, if they hook up to the computer you'd have to put your stock stuff back on come emission test time. Good luck whichever way you go.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The Stage upgrades techincally aren't emissions legal. If you read the fine print they're labeled "for Off-road use only" Basically, if it doesn't have a carb number, it's considered illegal.

·
437 Posts
They are labeled for off road use only, and also say are for competition use only. That still being said, there are only a few places where you would run into a problem with them installed. Carb certified is California Air Research Board Certification. It only applies to CA emissions. Other states do emissions testing, but the Carb Certification only applies to you if have your car registered in CA. Some Northern states, Mass, NY, NJ also do emissions testing that is just as stringent as the CA testing, but they do not require parts to have the Carb sticker on them to be legal unless they've changed that in the last year or so since I moved from that area. Most states do a simple check for inspection. They check to make sure your brakes work, lights work, signals work, and that your check engine light is not illuminated and you have no stored codes. Some even go so far as to do tailpipe tests to make sure you're not running to rich or polluting alot more than your car should have from the factory. As far as the pollution side of it goes though most bolt on performance parts increase the efficiency of the car and you will actually run cleaner with them installed. The staged upgrades do make your car run rich though and might not pass a tailpipe test, but you could always try it and see. I've seen Acuras/Hondas will full turbo kits still pass tailpipe tests because they were tuned correctly, there's a good chance you might pass it with your SRT4 and one of the Stage 1/2/3 kits. If you fail the test it would be a little pain, but put the factory ECU, Sensors, injectors back in and you'll pass and be good to go till next time. Small price to pay for the type of gains you will get from the kit.

·
Registered
63 Posts
if you are in a state that does obd testing and you have a toys ecu you will fail. returning to stock won't pass either if you have an exhaust. believe me on this one, i tried. my car failed 4 times before we got it to pass.

·
437 Posts
Anytime you install a performance PCM into an SRT4 it triggers a hidden fault code that depending on where you are at could cause you to fail. Stage 1, 2, and 3 kits all have this code built into them. The reason you have the code is all SRT-4's use the grey sentry keys that have to be keyed to the particular vehicle. Since they don't have your vehicle with them when the PCM is made there is no way they can sync up the PCM to your Key so it has a hidden code that says your Sentry key is inactive. You can bring your car to a dealer though and they can reprogram your keys to the new PCM and the code will go away making you have no codes to give away that you have a non-factory PCM. Seeing that you are in NY I can believe they might not pass you with the exhaust as they have almost identical emmission laws to CA. Someone in the know at an inspection station might notice your exhaust is a bit larger, but you could pass it off as stock to most places. They probably failed you because it didn't have a muffler on the exhaust so they visually failed it. Now the factory exhaust doesn't have a muffler either, but they probably didn't know that. If they failed you for anything else then you may have had a stored code from the Performance PCM, but just an exhaust would not make the car run poorly enough to cause it not to pass smog unless there are other problems (i.e. bad plugs from running rich with the stage2/3computer).

·
Registered
63 Posts
the code your are refering to is P0633 - skim key. this does not make you fail emissions, and has absolutely nothing to do with why i didn't pass.

the reason that the car failed due to the exhaust was because it changes the characteristics of the o2 sensor outputs causing a failure of the o2 readiness test.

i passed the visual safety inspection. ny is not like cali in the sense that any mod will make you fail. i passed with the exception of the three codes that the ecu throws due to the toys programing in it. no, these aren't visable on the odometer output either, you have to have a obd machine or a scanner to see them. these codes will cause you to fail if you have to go through obd scanning. and no, clearing them with an obd machine doesn't work either as the codes will reappear when the next cycle is tested (which is about 10-15 seconds later).

·
437 Posts
As far as the skim code # I didn't mean that it would make you fail emissions, but in alot of states they don't actually do emissions they just plug in an obd2 reader and see if you have any codes. Any code at all and you fail. Skim code included. My 79.00 autozone code reader can pick up the skim code so I know any inspection station should have something alot more exact than that. We have had to program at least 3 of the srt4's with stage one on them with the skim code just to get them to pass here in TX. Nothing to do with the emissions, the book just says you can't have any codes or warning lights whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the code is.

I understand the exhaust will change your emissions slightly, but if its the mopar catback the 1/4" change in piping diameter from stock after the catalytic converter should not change your o2 values enough to make you fail. Now if you have a 3" aftermarket, or 3" turbo back I bet the values will be all over the place in comparison to stock.

As far as the ECU throwing 3 other codes out there that would be a first I had heard of that one. Any idea what the codes are and I'll see if I can get something out of the guys @ Mopar Performance, because according to everything they have sent me in regards to the kits the only code you should get is the skim code. They did say if you have an aftermarket boost controller (in addition to the toys one), other than mopar wastegate actuator (AGP), 3" downpipe with/without a cat (aftermarket), MSD coilpack, or any type of fuel management (AFC) you can get numerous additional codes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
the three codes that it throws are:
P0846 - Trans fluid pressure sensor/switch "b" circuit range/performance
P0871 - trans fluid pressure sensor/switch "c" circuit range/performance
P0888 - TCM Power Relay Sense Circuit

you won't get anything out of the mopar performance guys about this, we already tried and they just kinda ignored it. i have a feeling that they knew about the issue and either couldn't or just didn't bother coming up with a fix for it since it was labeled as "for off road use only". luckily some of the local guys here created a nifty little device that clears the codes out of the ecu. they are now producing the box that they made on my car for sale to others that are going to be facing the same issue that i did.

the problem is that the ecu that the toys stages use is from a pt autostick. they needed the extra circuts to use for the toys function, but they didn't use all the circuits in there. the extra relays cause these three codes to be thrown.

the p0633 code, at least in ny, didn't have any effect at all on the car passing emissions. the obd saw it, but didn't care. when i got the print out of why the car didn't pass, it listed the three codes above but completly ignored the skim key code.

as for the emissions thing, we really are not too sure why reverting to s0 caused the o2 readiness test to fail. we are thinking that it was because the s3 fuel rail and pump were still on the car, but the s0 injectors, map and tip sensors, and ecu were installed. as such the fuel management was screwed up and causing the failures. on a side note, the s0 ecu refused to complete the evap readiness test and we had to force it through an obd machine as well. as it turned out, the obd machine was not even able to read some of the readiness tests off the s0 ecu and that's why it would not pass the car. i haven't a clue why that is, but it happened.

here's a link to the adventures in emissions land that i went through about a month ago. it was a big production because i was the first s3 w/toys car to attempt to go through obd scaning and it failed. the issues that i had with the ecu throwing codes is applicable to s2 w/toys as well. it's the same base ecu. we are also thinking that even those with s3 w/out toys that have the upgrade kit, not the full kit, will have this problem as well.

S3 emissions thread

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.