DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to put a srt-4 cluster into a neon? Has someone tried and if so did it work accurately, with speed and rpm where it needs to be. I know the srt-4 goes to 160 and the neon goes to 120. I also think the mileage might make a difference but who knows it might be kept in the computer. That’s why I ask. They make some nice ones fit the srt-4 but not shit for the neon. Well let me know if not ill look for one from some junk yard and attempt it and get you all an update.

·
Spending
1,786 Posts
just type "neon gauge" into ebay search and ALOT will come up

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know i can get them there i just want to know if the srt-4 will work in my neon. they are two different clusters. neon has a 120 readable speed limite and srt-4 has a 160.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I dont know for sure but it might work if you get an entire SRT-4 cluster. Just getting SRT-4 gauge overlays will not work, your speedometer will be WAY off (thinking its reading off a 120mph speedometer). You'd need to find out from one of the SRT guys if the plug connections on the back of the clusters are identical.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that is a good point abot checking the back plug. and i pland on gettingthe whole thing. im going to check everything i can witch isnt much i hate these filters thay got here but im going to do what i can.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
im aout 95% sure that it will swap into it cause the odometer is electrical and is in the pcm ... take a pic of ur plugso n the back of ur cluster and post a pic and i'll post a pic or atleast look at my srt-4 cluster and tell u if they the same!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i would but im in iraq my car is in utah its not a short walk but if you can get me a pic ill see if some guys wouldnt mind gettig me a pic of theirs also. i think this might work.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Your mileage will remain the same regardless if you change the cluster

your mileage is stored in the PCM in your car, and if you install a different cluster, the PCM will instruct the cluster to display the same mileage

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
ha sorry didnt see it

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
donald7150 said:
Your mileage will remain the same regardless if you change the cluster

your mileage is stored in the PCM in your car, and if you install a different cluster, the PCM will instruct the cluster to display the same mileage

Uh, are you sure about that? I traded out my old cluster for one with a tach and the milage that showed was not my original miles but the miles on the car the new cluster came from. On my 2nd gen neon the milage is stored in the cluster not the PCM. I would assume the same for a SRT-4 gauge cluster as well. The trick is to buy a cluster with close to the same milage as yours.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i cant seem to find one under 150 and am not sure i want to spend that just to test it out. thats a new DC tower strut bar the way i see it.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
maybe try an ACR or R/T cluster. I think they go up to 140 and I would say you'd be lucky to get much beyond that in speed unless you do some $ERIOU$ modifying.

Here's a SRT Cluster off of Ebay...it is identical to the cluster in my car. I would be very surprised if it doesn't connect to your car. You could ask the seller to send you a pic of the back connector. I'd be glad to snap a shot of my old cluster connector and see if they are the same. Take a look (cut and paste):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-0...008QQitemZ180051444979QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
sorry, my bad alaska

I didnt look in the service manual for this one because the way I explained it is how most other chrysler digital odometers work including my '98 caravan

but according to the service manual yes the mileage is indeed stored in the cluster itself. The cluster uses PCM information to determine the mileage but the PCM doesnt store the actual mileage

and for the 2004 SRT-4 it gives me the exact same information

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
oook the swap with happen.. I have the srt guages in my first gen.. and I know a guy on srtforums that has taken the whole dash, guages and everything and put it in his 1st gen.. they will swap.. HOWEVER... it did not store my mileage.... Although I do have a first gen.. My miles read 27k and I know there is more than that on a 1st gen..

Dunno much about the second gen pcms and everything? although the difference could be my pcm is also the 04 srt pcm... If the miles are digital then it MIGHT change.. but I cant be positive on that.. I simply dont know!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well thanks guys. I will conceder it but I have found out that sometime in the near future I get to have the opportunity to buy a divorce! Seems my wife can’t live without any for a few months while im in Iraq. Oh well more money for the neon in the long run. Till then I have to buy me new crap for my house. But if down the road I get to the cluster like I want to I will update you all!! I want this and a lot more. Now im out the rims and the breaks. I am still going to get the stage 3 coilovers by Mopar. That’s all for now.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i boutght the cluster today! got it for $88 shipped. so im happy now to find out if it works! ill update you when i get home from the war! god i cant wait! ive spent almost 3000 since ive been here so far and im not done yet i have to get me a new CIA W/TB, and i really want to do the new breaks but if i do that i think i will want the rims too. but hell its all comming togeather nicely:D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sooo......the srt4 guages will fit in the first gen and the 2nd gens?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I dont know if they will fit in the 1st gen neon but they definitly wont work
the 2nd gen neons use the PCI bus to relay information to the cluster from the BCM which gets information from the PCM

the 1st gen doesnt have a BCM or a PCI bus, just a pcm, the 1st gen cluster reads from all the vehicles sensors directly

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.