DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted that I had bought a stock SRT-10 muffler off of Ebay for $5.50, I had it installed today. Darrel & Mike at All Tech Muffler & Brake did a good job, they've become friends over the years of me going there. The muffler is a dual in and dual out, unlike the Hemi muffler which is a single in and single out. The flow tubes go straight through the muffler with perforations in the pipe like a Magnaflow muffler. They used 2.25" pipe in and out, I didn't want tips so I had them do turn downs in the corners just under the bumper. From behind, you can barely see the tips sticking out, reminds me of old muscle car style exhaust. The exhaust note is COOL, reminds me of more old school! It's almost stock quiet at idle, has a VERY DEEP rumble at lower rpm's when driving and accelerating normally. It get's louder as you get on it and at one point it has a crackly sound that reminds me of the old Smitty mufflers, I like it. It's quiet on the freeway and from the little I drove it, no resonation to speak of. I'm quite pleased so far but I'll have to see how it does over time. To me right now, it sounds better than the previous Magnaflow mufflers and Gibson muffler I've had on the truck. He's a few pics, there's several more in my gallery on DTW.
Jim

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
WOW... Thats a new one... You hear of Every other SRT Mod being doen to the Vehicles, but I had to do a doubletake when i read the Thread title!!!

Looks good bro!

·
All Black and All BADA&%!
1,087 Posts
Sounds pretty cool, Might have to look into that.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need to reload the pics when I get home today, can't do it from work.
Jim

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Jim, need those Gtech times!!!!!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
99RAMMAN said:
Jim, need those Gtech times!!!!!
Wayne! I'll start doing some runs Monday night when I get off work, that'll give it four days and about 75-100 miles to get adjusted. So far it feels good, sounds different but I like it. Kind of a hollow chambered exhaust sound from the 60's at low rpm's then it sounds like a Smitty or glass pack at higher rpms'. Defintly different.
Jim

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Before installing it did you look through
the muffler? Is it baffled or a strait through
design?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
99RAMMAN said:
Before installing it did you look through
the muffler? Is it baffled or a strait through
design?
I did look through and even took a pic, it's straight through in design. The tubes kind of look like a Magnaflow muffler, the tubes are perforrated but only on about 2/3's of the tube. I think the hollow exhaust sound comes from the fact that the muffler is so big and it doesn't have any packing in it. You can tell from tapping on the side of it, it's hollow inside from the sound of it. I have a pic of the inside of a tube but I can't post it now, I messed up my DTW gallery and deleted 12 pics this morning. I can reload them once I get home, I'm at work now.
Jim

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ram4Pick....I posted in your original thread on this, been wondering how this turned out. So far, everything you've experienced sounds great to me. At this point, it's a matter of finding a SRT-10 muffler. Since your pics aren't up yet, I assume the '04 resonator is now a boat anchor, correct?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
TexasZach said:
Ram4Pick....I posted in your original thread on this, been wondering how this turned out. So far, everything you've experienced sounds great to me. At this point, it's a matter of finding a SRT-10 muffler. Since your pics aren't up yet, I assume the '04 resonator is now a boat anchor, correct?
I like every thing about the SRT-10 muffler EXCEPT and this is a big one, the rappy exhaust note above 4K rpm's. It sounds like a glass pack low rider or you could say a 40's hot rod with Smitty mufflers on it. It goes from a deep hollowy sounding rumble that gets louder, then all of a sudden it starts to rap instead of rumble. It's hard to describe! When I have it idling and I'm standing outside the truck and rev the engine, I like the sound, a classic chambered exhaust sound, it has a little crackle and pop to it but it's not bad. The rappy exhaust note reminds of the black car in the movie Grease with the flaming tailpipes. The guy would take off in the movie and the exhaust made a real rappy note, if you've seen the movie, you know what I've talking about. I went back to the muffler shop and Darrel (one of the guys who did the install) asked if I was back to change it already and started laughing. I asked why he was laughing and he said "sorry but he thinks it sound like shit". So now, I'm not sure what to do, I guess I'll have someone drive it around so I can hear it from the outside of the truck, his comment was discouraging. I like the tailpipes alot! I may have them take the SRT-10 muffler off and pop in a couple of Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers with an H pipe and make it a true dual system. I'll keep it for a while and see how it performs on my G-tech before I do anything. I'm also going to keep the stock system I had for a back up plan. I'm trying to give you guys an honest evaluation so you don't run out and put on this muffler on, then tell me it sounds like shit too. LOL!
Jim

·
Registered
302 Posts
Morning Jim,

Frankly, I appreciate your candid follow up post as late last night I ran a search on Ebay for the same muffler. Sometimes, new mods are like a new woman, it's great at first, but longer term, dealing with it (or her as the case may be) on a day in/day out basis usually yields the downsides (more common with the woman example than the mods!)

Now it's safe to say on both subjects, one man's ceiling is another man's floor but from your description, I think it I'll keep looking. So far, the Borla catback system seems to hold the most allure. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Zach

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
TexasZach said:
Morning Jim,

Frankly, I appreciate your candid follow up post as late last night I ran a search on Ebay for the same muffler. Sometimes, new mods are like a new woman, it's great at first, but longer term, dealing with it (or her as the case may be) on a day in/day out basis usually yields the downsides (more common with the woman example than the mods!)

Now it's safe to say on both subjects, one man's ceiling is another man's floor but from your description, I think it I'll keep looking. So far, the Borla catback system seems to hold the most allure. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Zach
Your welcome on the honest post. Even though I may make look kind of stupid for putting muffler designed for a V10 on a V8, I don't want to steer anyone wrong. I just wanted to hear how it would sound! The muffler only cost me $30 (cost plus shipping) but it was $175 to get it installed and have all the new pipes run. It'll probably cost me another $150-$200 to have two Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers and an H pipe installed. I can get the mufflers and H pipe from Summit Racing for $128 (muffler $42.88 x 2 and H pipe kit $32.99). Mike and Darrel are authorized Dynomax dealers so I may just go through them if they'll match the price of the mufflers. Like I said, I like everything about the muffler except that one thing. I think it sounds good just driving around, it doesn't resonate at all. The exhaust note I do hear is coming from the back of the truck, out the tailpipes not reverberating through the interior of the truck. I just wish it didn't make the rappy, crackly exhaust sound about 4K rpm's. Who knows, if it performs well on the G-tech I may just keep it, I probably won't find a muffler or exhaust system that has everything I want. This is the only muffler I've tried that didn't bother me on the inside of the truck (except the stock one). Damn! Here's a pic of the inside, Wayne asked how it looked. You can see it's straight through, that's a red flashlight on the other end.
Jim

·
Banned
10,983 Posts
Ram4Pick said:
I like every thing about the SRT-10 muffler EXCEPT and this is a big one, the rappy exhaust note above 4K rpm's. It sounds like a glass pack low rider or you could say a 40's hot rod with Smitty mufflers on it.
Jim,

Personally I'd deal with a drone. That glass pack sound on these trucks
can't sound too good. I like your muffler guy, because he gave you his
honest opinion. Must be a good guy.

I have the 12588 cat-back from magnaflow. I believe you had that
system. I'm use to all the noises already. I figure it's a HEMI, so I just
enjoy the thunder. ;)

Sil

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SilsHemi said:
Jim,

Personally I'd deal with a drone. That glass pack sound on these trucks
can't sound too good. I like your muffler guy, because he gave you his
honest opinion. Must be a good guy.

I have the 12588 cat-back from magnaflow. I believe you had that
system. I'm use to all the noises already. I figure it's a HEMI, so I just
enjoy the thunder. ;)

Sil
Yeah, Darrel is a good guy, funny too! Although I don't like the rappy Smitty exhaust sound, I can't handle a muffler that drones. My left inner ear just can't handle it! It feels like it's plugged up most of the time and has pressure in it like when your ears need to pop while on a plane or being in the mountains. When a muffler or exhaust system drones inside the truck, it drives me crazy! I don't want to lose the tailpipes, I really like them the more I look at them. I may try the dual Dynomax muffler idea then if that fails, just put the stock muffler back on.
Jim

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Hell, if I was your muffler guy I'd tell ya everything you put on there sounded like shit. More $$$ in my wallet! LOL But seriously,I do hope you find what your looking for. I am very picky about certain things and I can't settle for inferior/subpar replacements.

I see thats how you are feeling about your exhaust, so best of luck finding what suits you best. On a side note, at least you got a good look going, with the way the duals exit right now. May even wanna add a chrome/polished tip on them. Mounted up far enough to where you just barely see the edge of the chrome tip poking out, not any lower than where your pipes sit now. :D Just a thought.

KB

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
KB112 said:
Hell, if I was your muffler guy I'd tell ya everything you put on there sounded like shit. More $$$ in my wallet! LOL
LOL!
But seriously,I do hope you find what your looking for. I am very picky about certain things and I can't settle.
Thanks! I'm the same way, exhaust drone is my pet peeve but I also just can't be stock, that just sounds wrong to me to say I'm running the stock exhaust.
On a side note, at least you got a good look going, with the way the duals exit right now. May even wanna add a chrome/polished tip on them. Mounted up far enough to where you just barely see the edge of the chrome tip poking out, not any lower than where your pipes sit now. :D Just a thought.
KB
I also thought about adding a round rolled end chrome tip to each pipe. I wouldn't have them sit any lower, just have them finish up the ends some.
Jim

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, the experiment is over, the SRT-10 muffler is coming off. Today driving home, my son (14 yrs old) had this wierd look on his face a couple of times and I asked why, he said "what sounds so funny?". It was the muffler at times when it was loud enough to be heard easily. We were in between buildings and houses where the exhaust sound was easily heard. That's it I thought, it's coming off! Tomorrow morning before I go to work at noon hopefully. I'm going to put two Dynomax Super Turbo's in it's place so I can keep the tailpipes and dual exhaust. Shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
That sucks Jim. My exhaust is OK but I would
prefer a strait through unit vs. a baffled design.
I wish Magnaflow would make a strait through
design that has no cab drone for the Hemi.
Say a 3" in/out oval that is 8X12X30". That should
quite these beasts down but still give great flow.
HELLO MAGNAFLOW!!!!! ARE YOU LISTENING??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.