DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
No idea how to post here exactly but hoping to find some answers before I am heading out to a shop for an estimate.
My 00 Durango (5.9) has developed the most annoying squeek which seems to be coming from the front end (drivers side), BUT: it doesn't seem to have to do with the brakes (they are working fine) or even wheels? It is an ongoing squeek, when the car is moving. To me (total amateur) it sounds mostly like the springs of my old bed back home, every time you move you hear the high pitched squeek. The car seems to drive just fine, if anything I'd say it seems to be more 'sensitive', meaning I really feel every little thing on the road. And sometimes it seems it is a bit 'heavy' on the wheels, especially turning in a parking garage to the left.
Could this be the suspension? Or the bushings?
Anyone having the same problem?
Any advise is so welcome, money doesn't come easy here, and being a woman on my own I have a feeling that every garage is trying to rip me off....
Thanks!
Inge :gr_patrio

· Registered
3,712 Posts
It's fairly common. It's from the swaybar bushings. You can lube them yourself but squeek is likely to come back down the road. Jack the vehicle up which will deform the bushing on the other side. You should be able to get some Lithium or marine type grease in there.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Thank you so much Neil for your reply! You make it sound very easy, and cheap...;)
It couldn't be anything else more expensive you think?
How does a swaybar look and what would be the best thing to put on it?
Inge

· Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,294 Posts
seems to get brought up every now and then. most of the time the squeeking is caused by the front sway bar bushings. you may want to look into getting these replaced with a quality eurathane bushing such as those made by energy suspension. make sure you lube them well prior to installation, and dont worry, this is something you can do yourself, you dont' need a shop to do it. also, might want to grease all your front end components

do us a favor and fill out a signature so we know exactely what type of engine, model, modifications you have so we can help you better.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, and btw, you said it is bound to come back, so what would I do in the long run? replace the bushings? also, if I don't do anything with it, would it cause long-term damage to my D?

6,294 Posts
oops, neil beat me to it, i left the window open and had to be away from my work computer for a few minutes. anyways, looks like neil is saying the same thing.

the sway bar is underneath your truck and looks like a big tube running from one front wheel to the other. like neil said, use a high quality lube on them.

6,294 Posts
most just consider it usual maintnance on these trucks, and as long as you dont have any slop or play in your sway bar, your bushings are fine, nothing to be a cause of concern for.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thanks...

Guys, many thanks, I love my D. best car I ever had!
I will try this out tonite, jacking it up and lubing it. Will be fun for the neighbors to watch!
I updated my signature with my car info.
I am so relieved, I was so worried this would be like a 'death sentence'!
Inge

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found some bushings online for around $49, is there a lot of difference in 'm? Quality wise, and should I replace all 4 or just the 2 upfront if needed?

6,294 Posts
as far as quality is concerned, you wont have nearly as much "squishy-ness" for lack of a better term. urethane bushings are going to give a little better handling due to them not distorting or deflecting during a hard turn, etc.

as far as needing them, only if you want to or if there is play in the sway bar. i dont think you'd need to replace the rear, that doesn't seem like a common replacement.

· Patriot....
3,385 Posts
you need to measure your front sway bar, there were three different sizes according to the parts available at www.eshocks.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.