DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brakes make a squeaking noise when I come to a stop. It happened when all brakes parts where factory. Since then Ive replaced the front rotors and pads with carbon metallic parts. Still makes the squeak :VHOT: . Then I just removed and checked both back brakes and everything seems to be fine. What else can cause squeaking brakes? Thanks!

·
2004 Black_Hemi_QC
1,688 Posts
Apply a product called disc brake quiet on the back of the pads, you will need to remove the pads and apply the product where the back of the pads where they make contact the caliper. It comes in a little bottle. The problem is that the pads resonate from brake dust that gets between the rotor and pads. I haven't had one brake job that has squealed after applying this product. Clean the rotor with brake cleaner as well.

·
Kasey Kahne #9
6,013 Posts
patriotbluehemi said:
Apply a product called disc brake quiet on the back of the pads, you will need to remove the pads and apply the product where the back of the pads where they make contact the caliper. It comes in a little bottle. The problem is that the pads resonate from brake dust that gets between the rotor and pads. I haven't had one brake job that has squealed after applying this product. Clean the rotor with brake cleaner as well.
ditto

·
Registered
320 Posts
Are you sure it is the brakes. I thought for sure mine were squeaking until I read the post about it being the hood rubber bushing. I put some lube on the bushings and it went away. Just my $.02

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DonRam said:
Quite a few have had a problem with the parking brake shoes squeeking.
This is a possibility. I know how to change regular rotors and pads, but what does it take additional to do the parking brakes shoes? Any walkthroughs on the site? Didn't find much with a search.

·
2004 Black_Hemi_QC
1,688 Posts
Is the squealing coming front or back brakes?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think its the back, just because Ive replaced everything in the front. Plus it does kinda sound like the rears.

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing. I cant figure out if it is my brakes or my front suspension. It sounds more like a squeal. My truck is lowered in the front and about a week after I lowered it, it started to squeal. I have tried all kinds of lubrication with no luck. It doesnt sound like the brakes. I know what that sounds like. But i might be wrong......any thoughts. Its a squeal not a squeak?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
SeanRPM said:
This is a possibility. I know how to change regular rotors and pads, but what does it take additional to do the parking brakes shoes? Any walkthroughs on the site? Didn't find much with a search.
The procedure below is from the factory service manual, but it looks like a royal pain to get at them. I would try applying them a few times and maybe driving a few feet with them lightly applied. If it's the parking brake causing the noise, maybe this will scuff them up enough for them to quit.

SHOES
REMOVAL
(1) Raise and support the vehicle.
(2) Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
(3) Remove the disc brake caliper,(Refer to 5 -
BRAKES/HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL/DISC
BRAKE CALIPERS - REMOVAL).
(4) Remove the disc brake rotor, (Refer to 5 -
BRAKES/HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL/ROTORS -
REMOVAL).
(5) Lockout the parking brake cable (Fig. 74).
(6) Disengage the park brake cable from behind
the rotor assembly to allow easier disassembly of the
park brake shoes (Fig. 75).
(7) Remove the axleshaft (Fig. 76) (Refer to 3 -
DIFFERENTIAL & DRIVELINE/REAR AXLE - 9 1/4/
AXLE SHAFTS - REMOVAL).
(8) Disassemble the rear park brake shoes (Fig.
67).

INSTALLATION
NOTE: On a new vehicle or after parking brake lining
replacement, it is recommended that the parking
brake system be conditioned prior to use. This
is done by making one stop from 25 mph on dry
pavement or concrete using light to moderate force
on the parking brake foot pedal.
(1) Reassemble the rear park brake shoes (Fig. 67)
or (Fig. 78).
(2) Install the axleshaft (Fig. 76) (Refer to 3 - DIFFERENTIAL
& DRIVELINE/REAR AXLE - 9 1/4/
AXLE SHAFTS - INSTALLATION) or (Refer to 3 -
DIFFERENTIAL & DRIVELINE/REAR AXLE - 11
1/2 AA/10 1/2 AA/AXLE SHAFTS - INSTALLATION).
(3) Install the park brake cable to the lever behind
the support plate.
(4) Unlock the park brake cable.
(5) Install the disc brake rotor (Refer to 5 -
BRAKES/HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL/ROTORS -
INSTALLATION).
(6) Install the disc brake caliper (Refer to 5 -
BRAKES/HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL/DISC
BRAKE CALIPERS - INSTALLATION).
(7) Adjust the rear brake shoes (Refer to 5 -
BRAKES/PARKING BRAKE/SHOES - ADJUSTMENTS).

Attachments

·
Registered
850 Posts
Man that sucks! Even on my 75 Vette the parking brakes aren't that bad. They at least put access holes in the axle hub so you can get to the parking brake hardware.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just try putting a little lube on the hood bushings. I had the same problem. Had it in the garage 3 times. They changed the front rotors and pads. Then the rear. Then they put friction lube in the rear diff. It still did it. I put a little lube on the rubber mounts for the hood and it went away.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.