DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a squeak type noise as their engine is running? It goes along with the rpms. It appears to be coming from the rear drivers side of the engine or possibly the cat. It seems to happen only when it is cold out, but i could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
the only sqeak i usually hear in the morning when its like 10 degrees out is the belt when i first start it up. but yea. cold usually makes a good amount of sounds appear. its probably nothing. i know my roof creaks because of the cold and boy is that annoying.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what i thought, i just wanted to make sure no one else had a problem like that and all hell broke loose. I work at a garage, so i hear cars make noises that do not sound that bad, and to figure out something like the engine is junk. The noise is starting to get rather annoying and there is supposed to be a high of about 10 degrees tomorrow with the wind chill about -15.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
well just letting you know from my experiences. dont take my word for it, hell im no truck tech or anything =p im just saying that where i live, the really cold weather makes everyones cars sound like they are breaking down =p

·
Premium Member
30,916 Posts
I have some "car squeaks" but I haven't been able to find them. If I ever do find them, I'm making stew.

:D

Attachments

·
Wilson
971 Posts
Mice trying to outrun the fan. The ones you hear are the ones that didnt make it.:D

·
Premium Member
30,916 Posts
OK; fun aside, you might try one thing. With the truck in Drive and someone watching the engine put your foot on the brake. While holding the brake, you then lightly rev the engine. If the motor moves more than just a little, you may have a broken motor mount or mounts. I've done this in the past a few times and it works pretty well as a fast test. The first time, I got a little too carried away and the engine lifted so hard, it looked like it was coming out of the engine compartment; so be careful.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well sounds like to me that you need to replace a drive belt pulley. Usually the problem is when the grease is low in one of the bearings......it freezes and causes that sqeaking/screeching noise for a few minutes until the friction heats the grease up again and it starts flowing. More often than not, it is the pulley on top just right of center that doesn't do anything other than guide the belt. In between the water pump and power steering pump. Hope this helps.......

·
Premium Member
30,916 Posts
I've never had one fail on me so I keep forget about that little idler pulley. You're right; it could easily be a pulley bearing.

:banghead:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've never had one fail on me so I keep forget about that little idler pulley. You're right; it could easily be a pulley bearing.

:banghead:
I have had to replace them on other vehicles that I have owned, and when it gets below 25 degrees, like this morning.........mine squeals a little. So I will get to changing it this spring unless it gets worse.

:D

·
HEMI_KY
186 Posts
I've got the same squeaking noise on mine on startup and the first few revs. I changed the belt out yesterday, but that didn't work. I'm replacing both idlers tomorrow when the parts from in from Carquest.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I've got the same squeaking noise on mine on startup and the first few revs. I changed the belt out yesterday, but that didn't work. I'm replacing both idlers tomorrow when the parts from in from Carquest.
whats the link to your youtube video?

and did the idler pullies fix your sound?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.