DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the middle leaf from the spring pack, and left the overload, It lowered the rear 2 7/8"! Rides great, handles good and looks a ton better. I still have the overload in place for trailering. :D

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
did you use short shackles????? If not you might not encounter trouble....if so you will need to either purchase shorter shocks or shock extenders for the rear and aslo use shorter bumpstops......Ive do a few this way but had to do these simple mds as well to keep from bottoming out!!! GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
WOW! almost 3" from just the middle spring removal? Was it hard to do? I'd like to do this also, so any more info would be great!

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
RAMSLT8 did his as we talked about and turned out nice......be aware that if short shackles are used in conjunction with the middle leaf removal that the left rear shock will bottom out from time to time on hard bumps and short shocks or extensions need to be used and shorter bumstops for sure....just trying to help fellows!!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hey Slammed1, thanks for the info, I did a site search, and found your tutorial on removing the helper spring. I'm guessing that I can just follow that to remove the center springs. I hope everything is working out o.k. with your truck!

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
LeeR said:
Hey Slammed1, thanks for the info, I did a site search, and found your tutorial on removing the helper spring. I'm guessing that I can just follow that to remove the center springs. I hope everything is working out o.k. with your truck!
some of the pics can be used as a reference but there is a little more to know about the center leaf removal........I dont do many of these due to the items that really need to be changed to make this style drop work well........as always be careful and pay close attention to the install procedures so you dont end up with problems!!!

I can always help if needed to guide you through it if you run into a problem!!!

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
Code:
LeeR said:
I'm looking for that tutorial and I can't find it. Can you tell me where to find it?

·
Registered
628 Posts
What will removing the middle spring do for cornering and bed load ability? slammed1...., so it's best to keep the stock height shackles with this mod? This mod sounds good because using rear clamps really harshens the ride up quite a bit.

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
the middle leaf removal with short shackles rides nice BUT....the shackles become extremely close and actually touch the rear spring hanger......most of the time it doesnt make noise......using stock shackles will allow more room for travel but not drop the truck as far!!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Slammed1, I figured that with stock shackles I would be o.k. and so far so good. I measured again today after driving some to let it all settle, still 2 7/8". I tow Jet Skiis and a large utility trailer sometimes but seldom have heavy loads in the bed. This is not my first lowering/lifting job. In the almost 40 years I've been driving I've done a lot of stuff, some not so safe or smart. I learned to to use common sense and listen to knowlagable people, like Slammed 1! My truck handles well, is easier to get in for my wife, rides way smoother and looks way cool. Slammed 1's info is what led me in this direction instead of the overload spring. Thanks again. :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.