DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 ram 1500 and have had 35" tires on for a while and just installed 4.56's and was trying to get this thing recalibrated. The dealer is telling me they can only configure to max stock tire size and max differential ratio. the speedo shop tells me i need an in-line box to convert the signals, but its not the speedo im trying to fix, its the tranny shift points. My tranny seems "confused" at times with less of a load on the engine as before and shifts a little off. I have reset the computer which did help but is still a little off. Any suggestions? Maybe a programmer would be the best way to go?

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
I just changed gears from 3.55 to 4.11. I took it into the dealer, and they said all they could do was adjust for tire, nothing else (like gear ratio).
But, what I have noticed is that the more I drive it, the better it seems to be. i have put about 300 miles on since the gear change, and the shift confusion I had for the first week is now gone.

·
Registered
314 Posts
i just got 4.10's, my speedo is about 8 miles off.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Not sure if they still do this on the Dodge trucks, but there is a pinion gear that drives the speed sensor in the transmission. The speed sensor is located in the trans. tailshaft. Pinion gears are sold by color/no. of teeth. The dealer should have a chart that can match up a gear according to gear ratio and total diameter of wheels/tires.

·
Derelict
392 Posts
Silver_DodgeRam said:
I just changed gears from 3.55 to 4.11. I took it into the dealer, and they said all they could do was adjust for tire, nothing else (like gear ratio).
On '99 and newer trucks the speed signal comes off the rear diff tone ring and is gear independant.

On '98 and older the speed cable is on the tranny (or maybe transfer case) and has a changable gear like Dodgevanman says.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you can find the proper info, here is an online calculator;

http://www.bgsoflex.com/speedo1.html

I am afraid I cannot supply any of the required information. I am utilizing stock outside diameter tires so the dealer had the info handy. On the upside, once you find the proper gear it is ridiculously easy to change.

·
Ty
74 Posts
I just read a post yesterday, but I don't know where or from who. (I read more than I right... get it?) Anyway, the guy said that the dealer can adjust past factory setting, but the dealers don't know how to get to that option. He said that he had his tire size adjusted at the dealer, but they had to call a dodge help line, or something along those lines, to get to the proper option.

·
Beware the Underbite!!!
6,704 Posts
the dealer in galveston tried to charge me 70 for a recalibration!!!!! what a load of bs

·
Get um'
18 Posts
i was offered the same price of 70 and two places for 80

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
Yep on the 98 up Rams, you dont have to Change anything because the speed is read of the tone rin in the rear diff. It's not effect by the gear change. Bigger tires will though. You just need to fiqure how many revolutaions your tires make in a mile. Give that number to the dealer and they can flash it into the computer. Id personally go with a true speed from superlift. They work well and you can change the settings if you swap tires.

·
mope
531 Posts
Just to verify on this it is ALL 98 rams regardles of how early in 98?
Thanks

·
David-2001 Ram Off-Road
2,857 Posts
Here's a thread you need to check out that was written back in '04: Dodgetalk Post on Speedometer Recalibration

In the 3rd post in the above thread, a member named "grfraz" has a "recipe" that is a step by step procedure. You could print this out and take it to your dealer. Well, here it is (not written by me) in case you don't want to change to another thread:

The following post was written by grfraz on 4/23/2004:
Here is the recipe.

1) Have the tech plug his hand held into the OBD port and turn it on. A menu screen comes up with a bunch of info. Select YES to go to next screen.

2) On this screen select menu item 1, "DRB III Standalone" to go to next screen.

3) On this screen select menu item 1, "1998-2005" to go to next screen.

4) On this screen select menu item 1, "All" to go to next screen.

5) On this screen select menu item 5, "Antilock Brakes" to go to next screen.

6) On this screen select menu item 9, "Miscellaneous" to go to next screen.

7) On this screen select menu item 2, "Set Pinion Factor" to go to next screen.

8) On this screen there are a several tire sizes and Other. Select menu item 8, "Other" to go to next screen.

9) On this screen there are two items, an Axle Size, (9.25" on the 1500's and 10.5" on the 25/3500's) and Other. Select menu item 1, "9.25" Axle" (10.5 in your case) to go to next screen.

10) You have now arrived at the point in this process where you will enter the revolutions per mile for your tire size. Select the menu box for RPM. It will indicate 400. Here is where the tech will change the revs per mile with either the up or down arrow. It will take a while to go from 400 to 604 (for the BFG 315's) so be patient. As you are waiting on him to finish, take this time to let him know that he shouldn't charge you more than say $20.00, especially since you trained him on this procedure.

11) The last step is to select "OK" and the changes will be excepted, then the hand held will display "Reprogramming Successful".

Good luck!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well the best way to do this is go drive by one of those radar detector trailers that sit on the side of the road and see how fast your going and then just remember to drive a little faster or slower then the speedo says.

·
mope
531 Posts
jdr1234 said:
Here's a thread you need to check out that was written back in '04: Dodgetalk Post on Speedometer Recalibration

In the 3rd post in the above thread, a member named "grfraz" has a "recipe" that is a step by step procedure. You could print this out and take it to your dealer. Well, here it is (not written by me) in case you don't want to change to another thread:

The following post was written by grfraz on 4/23/2004:
Here is the recipe.

1) Have the tech plug his hand held into the OBD port and turn it on. A menu screen comes up with a bunch of info. Select YES to go to next screen.

2) On this screen select menu item 1, "DRB III Standalone" to go to next screen.

3) On this screen select menu item 1, "1998-2005" to go to next screen.

4) On this screen select menu item 1, "All" to go to next screen.

5) On this screen select menu item 5, "Antilock Brakes" to go to next screen.

6) On this screen select menu item 9, "Miscellaneous" to go to next screen.

7) On this screen select menu item 2, "Set Pinion Factor" to go to next screen.

8) On this screen there are a several tire sizes and Other. Select menu item 8, "Other" to go to next screen.

9) On this screen there are two items, an Axle Size, (9.25" on the 1500's and 10.5" on the 25/3500's) and Other. Select menu item 1, "9.25" Axle" (10.5 in your case) to go to next screen.

10) You have now arrived at the point in this process where you will enter the revolutions per mile for your tire size. Select the menu box for RPM. It will indicate 400. Here is where the tech will change the revs per mile with either the up or down arrow. It will take a while to go from 400 to 604 (for the BFG 315's) so be patient. As you are waiting on him to finish, take this time to let him know that he shouldn't charge you more than say $20.00, especially since you trained him on this procedure.

11) The last step is to select "OK" and the changes will be excepted, then the hand held will display "Reprogramming Successful".

Good luck!

That is Awesome info!! Thankyou. Btw How do you figure out what "revs per mile" to set it at for different tire sizes?
Also, Does this work the same for changing gear ratios?
thanks

·
Derelict
392 Posts
Mope said:
That is Awesome info!! Thankyou. Btw How do you figure out what "revs per mile" to set it at for different tire sizes?
Also, Does this work the same for changing gear ratios?
thanks
"Revs per mile" are usually listed in the tire specs online. You can check the manufacturer's site or someplace like www.tirerack.com (or even call a tire shop).

Gear ratios don't matter because the speed sensor is after the gears.

·
mope
531 Posts
Great! Thanks again for all the info. It is very helpfull, and I am looking forward to getting my 4.11's put in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.