DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last 3 years I have replaced one or both speed sensors 5 times now. Today again, at least one of them has failed.

3 Months ago I took it in for eratic shifting and they advised me that I needed a transmission overhaul, which they did, and was told the problems would be gone. When I questioned them about the sensor failures they suggested it was just bad luck with parts. They said the current ones were fine.

1 month later the output speed sensor failed. I replaced it with a Mopar part which comes with a 1 year parts and labour deal.

Today the transmission is up to its tricks again. SES light and it won't shift past 1st gear, which has happened before when one of the speed sensors failed.

Has anyone else had repeated speed sensor failures?

1998 Grand Caravan SE Sport 3.3l

Thanks for your time.

Dale

·
Registered
30 Posts
My '99 output sensor failed +106k. It was coated with metal shavings, and probably failed due to zero transmission maint. ATF was just nasty, still had the factory silicone. Are you changing them yourself? Dealer or tranny shop? It took me longer to find it than to swap it. Got the sensor from Autozone for like $28. No problems since. "Bad luck with parts" sounds like B/S to me. Please post if you ever find a resolution to your problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A new tech, a new hope

Well, finally a dodge tech listened to me and took a serious look at our sensor failure history. He offered to check the wiring, expecting to find nothing. I got a call an hour later saying that sure enough it was bad wiring. The sensor is fine, but the computer gets a message saying its not, they will run new wiring.

Of course I have had the sensors replaced some 6 times and tranny rebuild in the midst of them all to solve the same symptoms. When I get it back tomorrow if its actually fixed I have some letter writing to do to try to get some money back.

I will post the final results when its all said and done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well things aren't any better now. The wiring seemed to remedy the problem, the claim a wire "looked damaged" and it did work after they reprogrammed the the tran. control module (TCM) the next day I was back with slightly odd shifting, but not dramatic and they reprogrammed the TCM again. Then yesterday completely failed to shift properly and the service engine soon light, back to the same old symptoms.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Remove the filter box, completely. The output sensor is setting right behind the part of the filter box were the filter sits. You'll need a large socket, double check the size when you get a new one. See attached image, best I could do at night.

$26.99 at Autozone should be part no. SU1034 or O.E.M. #4412879, 4800879.

Symptoms of bad output sensor: tranny goes into limp mode (2nd gear), no speedometer, and auto door locks don't lock (my wife noticed this first). Computer will post first gear ratio error (division by zero).

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In our case the mystery continues. After clearing the codes and getting it out of limp mode it worked fine and couldn't get it to trigger and go back into limp mode. <sigh> So its home now and we hope it lasts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
>>In our case the mystery continues. After clearing the codes and getting it out of limp mode it worked fine and couldn't get it to trigger and go back into limp mode. <sigh> So its home now and we hope it lasts.

Sorry to hear a solution wasn't found. GL

>>After a trip to parts source and $34 CDN later my Van is 100% again! Thanks for all your help!
Sean

Great! Was your sensor in the same position as mine?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.