ordering a truck from the factory. Can someone tell me what is the
procedure, what is involved, in how this is done? I have never done
this, so any input would be appreciated. Money down? When to give
them the trade in vehicle? I don't know about any of this so I am asking
for help in detail.
Anything would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Dave

I would suggest going to Dodge.com and build a truck with the options you want. Get a printout and take it to your dealer. Your dealer will also have package codes and can help you build one too. After that you will negotiate price. Money down depends on so many variables there is no easy answer. Don't worry your dealer will tell you what they want based on your situation - again thats a negotiating point. Based on your order, you will also negotiate your trade in value and then you have 2 options. One is to keep driving your trade in until your order arrives and you can sign a "telephone pole clause" which states you will bring your trade in back in basically the same condition as inspected plus some miles allowed. Alternatively, if you have other transportation, you can just give them your trade in at the time. I choose this option because its the "safest". This is the process as I went through it, others experiences may vary. Above all, be prepared to wait, the dealers delivery estimate is just that. I was told 6 weeks and it was almost 4 months. In the end its worth it to get what you want and not pay for the things you don't. Best of luck and get the 3.92's ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
If I can't find what I want on the dealer's lot, I might have to resort to
ordering a truck from the factory. Can someone tell me what is the
procedure, what is involved, in how this is done? I have never done
this, so any input would be appreciated. Money down? When to give
them the trade in vehicle? I don't know about any of this so I am asking
for help in detail.
Anything would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Dave
You could try expanding your search as well. I had a problem finding what I wanted at the local dealers (Orange, Riverside, SB, and LA counties) and couldn't get them to call me back so I started searching out of state and found exactly what I wanted in Arizona. If you do something like that make sure that the sticker states that the unit meets California emissions. Registration is a hassle with the DMV but the whole dealer transaction was pretty easy at the dealership I ended up with. Another option is to find exactly what you want online and have your dealer do a transfer.

Cliff

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just special ordered a Ram. I'm looking for a unique set of options and the truck I want just doesn't exist on a dealer lot. I would agree with Hemi-Ron....build the truck online and then call a bunch of dealers and tell them what you want. I emailed just about all the dealers within the state of California and told them what I was looking for. I told them the best deal would get my business and was able to get them to agree to $10.5k off of MSRP. If you order a truck you might not be able to get as much off of MSRP. They seem to be a lot more willing to make a deal on a truck on their lot. Also keep in mind some dealers will give you a lot more for a trade-in than others.

As for the ordering process.....I ordered two SRT8 Chargers over the phone. I built my option list online so it was a matter of telling them what I wanted. The cool thing about ordering....you get your name printed on the window sticker. Anyway, when ordering the Chargers I didn't have to put a down payment but with the Ram order they made me pay $500 down. Different dealers do different things.

As for the trade in...my dealer is going to give me $1,000 above Kelley Blue Book value of my car at the time the truck arrives. That seems fair to me. Interestingly enough KBB just released a new book and my Super Bee is worth $700 more than it was worth last month.

Oh, if you're not big on towing don't get the 3.92's unless you are stump pulling or don't care about fuel consumption.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I agree with dlyle about the 3.92 if its just a daily driver you will be fine and get good mileage with 3.55. If you are going to tow, race, modify heavily there are three routes save money with the 3.55 and upgrade on your own to 4.10 or 4.56. or get the 3.92 and see what happens. With your trade in I would personally try to sell it privately. tend to make more money on it but it is a bit more of a hassle.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I disagree on the gears. If you have any kind of hilly terrain that you drive on regularly, you will end up getting better gas mileage with the 3.92 gears. If it is pretty much flatland, then the others will suffice.

·
Registered
158 Posts
When I ordered my 03 I built it just like I wanted on Dodge's website....Then I emailed that to a coule different dealers in my area..Within a bit I got quotes back to me from the dealers stating what they would sale me that truck for...I went to the one that had the best price and they were also the closest. Like dealing with my hometown dealership..We set up a day right before Thanksgiving 02 and I sat down with the owner and we built it together just like I wanted but on their computer and it is directly linked to Chrysler..5 weeks later my truck arrived...Still have it...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.