DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I need to get a replacement PCM for my 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport.

Does anyone have any recommendations on good places to buy one from?

It looks like they come pre-programed. Do I need to send in my VIN/Mileage to have the new one programmed?

The dealer says they bring someone in to program the new PCM them would put in. The places that can do it before they send one to you are legit?

$250 for an online part and DIY install seems a lot nicer than $900 quoted by my shop... Am I missing the catch?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Places? There are several on the internet. Google "automotive computer remanufactures". One I've read of many using is Auto Computer Exchange. Many automotive parts stores can get them. Some use Ebay. In many cases you'll get a lifetime warranty. Regardless of the source it seems some have to be sent back due to various problems but for most you just install it and you're on your way.

Send VIN/mileage? Yes. That's how they know how to reprogram it to match your van. Primarily the VIN lets them know if your van has a factory security system installed. Installing a PCM programmed without it into a van that has it (or vice verse) opens a huge can of worms you don't need.

Legit? Yes. I've read of many using non dealer PCMs with good success. Even $50 PCMs out of a salvage yard. That said, a few do have problems.

Catch? Using a non dealer source will leave you with a heavier wallet. :D

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have to say that I wasn't a big fan of Auto Computer Exchange when I dealt with them. The first one they sent set a code and their excuse was that they can't be expected to test everything. They wouldn't send a replacement until they received the defective one back even when I offered to pay the core charge upfront and their attitude sucked. That meant the van was out of service another 2 weeks.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Primarily the VIN lets them know if your van has a factory security system installed. Installing a PCM programmed without it into a van that has it (or vice verse) opens a huge can of worms you don't need:D
The vehicle mileage is stored in the BCM. The BCM is also responsible for the alarm functions. The VIN IS stored in the PCM, but only for reference to the BCM. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :D

Can you be more specific as to what the huge can of worms would be in replacing the PCM? I haven't run into much in the way of problems.

You can swap out the PCM from another vehicle and it won't affect the alarm system OR the vehicle mileage. But if you swap out the BCM, the vehicle mileage will reflect the reading in the new BCM and if the vehicle has a factory alarm system and the replacement BCM came from a vehicle system without an alarm system, the vehicle will be disabled and won't start due to VIN mismatch with the PCM. However, if you use a BCM from a vehicle WITHOUT a factory security system, it will work fine, but will still reflect the mileage of the donor vehicle. The mileage stays with the BCM.

I recently swapped out my PCM on my 1999 and from a junkyard vehicle and it resolved my issues with the fans not coming on at all. Otherwise, after several months, I can't find a single adverse issue.

That said, my memory is not what it used to be, so I'm open to a refresher if incorrect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have to say that I wasn't a big fan of Auto Computer Exchange when I dealt with them. The first one they sent set a code and their excuse was that they can't be expected to test everything. They wouldn't send a replacement until they received the defective one back even when I offered to pay the core charge upfront and their attitude sucked. That meant the van was out of service another 2 weeks.
U should of called the owner Lou. He would if took Care of you and at a lower price. He even threw in a injector harness, cause that's the main reason the computers fail. I was impressed by his expertease. All they needed was my Vin. Milage is stored elsewhere, the bcm i think. If your computer went down, you need to check your injector harness right away!

·
Registered
3 Posts
U should of called the owner Lou. He would if took Care of you and at a lower price. He even threw in a injector harness, cause that's the main reason the computers fail. I was impressed by his expertease. All they needed was my Vin. Milage is stored elsewhere, the bcm i think. If your computer went down, you need to check your injector harness right away!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts