Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys What IF????

When I purchase my new truck it will probably be a 2006 with the
36 mo. and 36000 mile warranty.

The question I have is do you think it would be wise to
purchase the extended warranty plan?

I would only consider the "DC" Manufactures Extended warranty plan..
NO third party plans....

Have any of you had DC's Extended warranty plan and did it work
well when you had to use it?

Thanks for any experiences you can share.

Ron D

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
How long do you plan to keep the truck?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
If you plan on driving the truck more than 36K, or keeping it longer then 3 years, ABSOLUTELY buy the extended warranty. This is a redesigned model( same thing more or less but still many new things )and the first year it is out. The big thing that would concern me is the MDS in the Ram. Those systems are notorious for problems in every mfg who has tried to do it. So far I guess DC's attempt has gone well in the cars it has been used in but it would worry me with just a base warranty. Always a good idea to get as much warranty as you can on a new design. You just never know and there is no history of the vehicle over a few years to tell if it will be a problem child.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
It's always a gamble, but generally you will loose if you purchase the extended warranty. The overwhelming majority won't need repairs during the warranty period that = the cost of the warranty. If I thought there was a specific problem with a vehicle line that justified buying the warranty, I would not buy that vehicle.

·
hillbilly technologist
367 Posts
My personal thought is that the extended warranty plans are just padding the dealer's pockets. If there's a manufacturing defect, it should show up during the 3yr/36000mile warranty. Another thing to look at is the fact that a lot of the exended warranties pro rate the work. So basically you're paying all that money in coverage just to save a percentage of any possible work.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good Point Guys..

History of my ownership is..

The last four vehicles I have bought.....

1970 model kept 11 years
1984 model kept 11-12 years not sure
1991 model kept 13+ years
2000 model wifes car I still have it....

I have never puchased a extended warranty on any of these vehicles.
Worst expense was on the 1991 F150 111,000 miles had to rebuild
Transmission $1800.00.. and I did not use it for towing or hauling.

OK you know my lifes story...LOL

Anyway I'm concerned about the "MDS" system some of the guys
on here have had Differential problems on the Limited Slip, one person
is getting a new engine "Hemi" but he had used a programmer not sure the programmer
was even related to engine failure.

I know out of the hundreds of thousands of Trucks out there this forum
is just a small sample.

That's why I asked for your opinions..

Keep them coming....

Thanks
Ron D

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
The extended warranties are a profit center for the dealership. I agree with 6stringer, defects won't take that long to show up.

·
Registered
188 Posts
i bought the extended warr. and i thouhgt it kicked in after the orig. warr. was over but i was wrong, took my truck in twice for waranty work first time about three days and the second about 7 days both times i got a rental car provided by the extened waranty. not worth th money paid for by any means but it was nice to have a car and not have to pay for it or haggle about it with the service manager. and there not much on it that isnt cover

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Well, my Brother in law bought the 100K extended warranty for his Dakota and has more then received his value back. He had to have a head gasket, water pump, and rear end rebuild all between 90 and 100K. That was well past any type of standard warranty you get. He also had tranny problems that fell under the 7/70 plan. The rear end job alone almost made it a wash.

There are a LOT of problems that don't start to show up until around 50K. Can't count the times when I worked at the dealership that major repairs started showing up right after the base warranty expired. Most new vehicles are pretty good to that 50K mark +/- but after that the problems start. Why I always trade/sell around that time.

The 7 year 70 or 100K extended warranties are great if you keep your vehicle that long. Not worth it if you don't. With the cost for even minor repairs these days if you have just a couple problems you more then make your money back. If you don't use it well it is peace of mind at least.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is good information.. I appreciate it...

NHHEMI WROTE There are a LOT of problems that don't start to show up until around 50K. Can't count the times when I worked at the dealership that major repairs started showing up right after the base warranty expired. Most new vehicles are pretty good to that 50K mark +/- but after that the problems start. Why I always trade/sell around that time..

If I might ask another follow on question then..

Say I stop keeping my vehicles for the long periods of time and well over 150,000
miles and consider using the money I would have spent on a 7/70 Extended warranty or the cost of a 10/100,000 Extended warranty if DC offers it.
And use the funds that I would have spent on the Extended warranty and Trade more Frequently like NHHEMI mentioned.
Is this a better way to go??????????????
Does anyone know what these Extended warranties cost From Chrysler Corp..??

Thanks again for your information and help.

Ron D

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
NHHEMI said:
Well, my Brother in law bought the 100K extended warranty for his Dakota and has more then received his value back. He had to have a head gasket, water pump, and rear end rebuild all between 90 and 100K. That was well past any type of standard warranty you get. He also had tranny problems that fell under the 7/70 plan. The rear end job alone almost made it a wash.

There are a LOT of problems that don't start to show up until around 50K. Can't count the times when I worked at the dealership that major repairs started showing up right after the base warranty expired. Most new vehicles are pretty good to that 50K mark +/- but after that the problems start. Why I always trade/sell around that time.

The 7 year 70 or 100K extended warranties are great if you keep your vehicle that long. Not worth it if you don't. With the cost for even minor repairs these days if you have just a couple problems you more then make your money back. If you don't use it well it is peace of mind at least.
I think that's the rare exception. If I would have had those problems with my 01 Dakota, I would have avoided Dodge and not purchased the Ram I have now.

Of the 14 vehicles I've purchased new, I've NEVER had mechanical problems that would have justified the cost of an extended warranty (within the timeframe that they would have been covered by an extended warranty). 8 of the 14 I kept well over 100K.

Extended warranties are like slot machines. Few get paid, the majority don't.

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
If you plan on keeping the truck for years and years, buy the extended warranty. Just remember, like the price of a truck, the price of a warranty is also negotiable. Don't pay too much for one. But don't get stuck with a huge repair bill down the road because you did not buy one at all, either. My 02. ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
When I bought my 2500 new last month, I went for the "Maximum Care" plan offered by DC. Covers *EVERYTHING* mechanical - switches on the radio to the entire drive line from the fan to the pumpkin in back - for 7 years / 70,000 miles. $1100 for a $100 deductible, +$200 to get down to $0 deductible. I paid the extra $200 to get down to $0.

Personal experience is that an AC repair and a few other problems with power windows and such that popped up after 5 years in a *HONDA* cost more than $1500 to fix. Since I only put on about 10-12K a year (mostly city stuff is what I drive), it will hopefully be $$$ well spent.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's an update for you guys..

I talked to DC on the phone this afternoon and got a quote on the Extended warranty.

Here is what they told me..
After telling them I drive say 15k to 20k a year they said.

Looks like the 5 year 100,000 mile plan would be best.
OK how much..??

Well we have two plans.
We have the "MAX CARE PLAN" and we have the "ADD CARE PLAN"
Don't know enough to explain either but some of you might be able to chime in here
and help..

Any way "Max Care Plan" $2500.00 with $100.00 Deductable.
"Add Care Plan" $1930.00 with $100.00 Deductable.

These quotes are on a 1500 Ram pickup Reg. Cab or Quad Cab. 2006 model.

So there you have it..
Now if you trade each time the warranty runs out and add the $2500.00
that would have been spent on the Extended warranty to your buying
power or buying funds it will make a dent in the depreciation suffered when
buying a new vehicle..May be not a big dent but it would help...

The way the sytems on these new vehicles are going it really is taking
the Shade Tree Mechanic like myself out of "repair your self game"...

I guess this arguement will be debated for years to come..

I do appreciate everyones input and discussion on this..
It helps to think things out...

Ron D

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
DonRam said:
I think that's the rare exception. If I would have had those problems with my 01 Dakota, I would have avoided Dodge and not purchased the Ram I have now.

Of the 14 vehicles I've purchased new, I've NEVER had mechanical problems that would have justified the cost of an extended warranty (within the timeframe that they would have been covered by an extended warranty). 8 of the 14 I kept well over 100K.

Extended warranties are like slot machines. Few get paid, the majority don't.
No, it isn't the rare exception. I have worked in dealerships( Parts & Service ), as well as years in aftermarket auto parts, and mechanical failure of everything from the radio to the rear end is common in every vehicle made. Keep a vehicle past 50K and you will use your extended warranty. Some more then others.

One big item that really becomes an issue around 50K, to use as an example for you, is the A/C. Most A/C systems will experience a failure of some type once 50K is reached. Most A/C repairs run a minimum of $300-$500 and even if the compressor and/or clutch goes. Heck, just a freon refill is $150+. My 97 Ram lost an A/C hose at 48K. I didn't get the extended warranty like a fool and it cost me over $450 to fix with parts, labor, leak test, and freon recharge.

Also, he didn't even start having problems with his Dakota other then the one tranny issue, which would have been covered by the base 7/70, until he was past 90K. The rear end went at 98K( 2K before warranty expired ). If you would not buy a vehicle because it had some problems as it neared 100K man I don't know what to say. Guess the only thing to say is there isn't a car mfg out there you would want to buy from then including Dodge. Vehicles are not made to last anymore so anything 75K and beyond you get before a major repair, of some kind, is needed you are lucky.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Ron D;

Keep in mind it will always cost you more, quite a bit more actually, to buy the extended warranty after the purchase of the vehicle. It costs a lot less to do it when you buy the vehicle then 1 or 2 years down the road.

I didn't buy it for my 04 Ram because it came with the 7/70 PTW. I never keep a vehicle past 50-60K max so at least the real major stuff was covered for me. I am taking a chance with things like the A/C and electrical stuff though which can be $$$$BIG$$$$ ticket. As much as I love this truck I doubt I will keep it longer then the usual 55K or so. If gas keeps going up it will be gone much sooner!

Anyway it would have run me $1000 for the extended warranty if I bought it with the truck( would have been less as FreeLantz said it can be negotiated lower ). Out of curiosity I checked on it the other day to see about adding it now and $1900! NO WAY!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
NHHEMI said:
No, it isn't the rare exception. I have worked in dealerships( Parts & Service ), as well as years in aftermarket auto parts, and mechanical failure of everything from the radio to the rear end is common in every vehicle made. Keep a vehicle past 50K and you will use your extended warranty. Some more then others.

One big item that really becomes an issue around 50K, to use as an example for you, is the A/C. Most A/C systems will experience a failure of some type once 50K is reached. Most A/C repairs run a minimum of $300-$500 and even if the compressor and/or clutch goes. Heck, just a freon refill is $150+. My 97 Ram lost an A/C hose at 48K. I didn't get the extended warranty like a fool and it cost me over $450 to fix with parts, labor, leak test, and freon recharge.

Also, he didn't even start having problems with his Dakota other then the one tranny issue, which would have been covered by the base 7/70, until he was past 90K. The rear end went at 98K( 2K before warranty expired ). If you would not buy a vehicle because it had some problems as it neared 100K man I don't know what to say. Guess the only thing to say is there isn't a car mfg out there you would want to buy from then including Dodge. Vehicles are not made to last anymore so anything 75K and beyond you get before a major repair, of some kind, is needed you are lucky.
That's just wrong. The overwhelming majority of vehicles on the road today will easily go past 100K without a major repair need that would justify spending 1500 - 2500 on an extended warranty.

I think your perceptions are distorted because where you have worked. It's like a cop thinking everyone is a criminal because most of the people they deal with are criminals.

·
Registered
205 Posts
in canada they changed to 5 year/100,000 km [63000 miles] in 05 from 7 years/ 115000 km [ 73000 miles ] the 04 's had.

·
BIG BLACK CTD
646 Posts
From what the dealership told me, they will refund the $$ for the unused portion of your extended warranty.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ron D said:
After telling them I drive say 15k to 20k a year they said.

Looks like the 5 year 100,000 mile plan would be best.
OK how much..??

Well we have two plans.
We have the "MAX CARE PLAN" and we have the "ADD CARE PLAN"
Don't know enough to explain either but some of you might be able to chime in here
and help..

Any way "Max Care Plan" $2500.00 with $100.00 Deductable.
"Add Care Plan" $1930.00 with $100.00 Deductable.

These quotes are on a 1500 Ram pickup Reg. Cab or Quad Cab. 2006 model.helps to think things out...

Ron D

OK I went back to DC today and got quote on 7/70 plan so we could compare.
For the 2006 they have now for Extended warranty a 7/75,000 mile plan.
This comes closes to old 7/70 plan they told me...

Here are the numbers..
Max Care $2010.00 with $100.00 deductable
Added Care $1410.00 with $100.00 deductable

They do offer reduced deductables for more money....

FYI......

Woo with Me what to do.......?????? When I buy my new truck.......

Ron D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.