DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the RT with the good stereo system. I was just wondering if anybody has upgraded their speaker system and if there was a noticeable difference in sound quality (I don't mean you folks that spent a small fortune and turned your Magnum into a rolling stereo unit, just a simple speaker and maybe an amp upgrade).
Thanks all,
Dan AKA HIPCHIP

·
Registered
82 Posts
I added a Amp and Sub to the system only and it rocks! The stereo shop that I went to said that upgrading the speakers only would not do anything for me, no gains at all. I asked about the factory amp and replacing it, he said only if the head unit was replaced and even then the car would have to be re-wired. Major $$$$

·
Registered
89 Posts
Added the dash speakers first. Made a big difference. Added the sub next and made a big difference. Added the door and rear speakers next and the difference was noticable but not as much as the first two changes. Total cost installed was $800. I am very happy with the end result. I started the the 6 speaker BA system.
Eclipse SE8235 in dash
Alpine SPS-690A in front doors
Eclipse SE8495 in rear panels
JL 10" Sub in Audio Enhancers box in rear cargo area
JL E1200 Amp for Sub

·
Registered
271 Posts
the75powerwagon said:
each upgrade you make sounds better.. that guy is full of shit and is trying to make a big sale.

It is more difficult to add mulitple amps to the Boston Accoustic system and retaining the factory head unit like the NAV.

·
Registered
557 Posts
the75powerwagon said:
each upgrade you make sounds better.. that guy is full of shit and is trying to make a big sale.
In the shop's defense, many of the premium interated systems sold use odd resistance values for their speakers...

Often, adding aftermarket speakers with lower resistance values end up either damaging your new speakers or the built in factory amp...

I won't argue that the new speakers will sound better, but I will argue that 99% of people wanting to just upgrade speakers, hardly understand the importance of avoiding clipping & distortion. You see there is this thing called "road noise" that we all want to drown out with our stereos. And in this "road noise" clipping is easily masked & hard to discern by ear. Over time, coils are over heated & burned or amp internals fry from excessive heat.

A good shop will want to guarantee their work, if your knowledge is not up to par with theirs, then there really is no reason to pass judgement on them... always ask that they explain every question you have... you can then sleep on your descision while you check their credibility online since we have nothing to sell... ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked at the shop I used to go to, and was advised that everything can be upgraded and will sound better. I asked about the steering wheel controls and was advised that most everything now can be connected up so that those controls can be retained. The shop advised that I can start with an amp and sub, then replace the speakers, then replace the factory amp, then replace the head unit, and everything would still work as it came from the factory, only it would sound better. I realize that this will cost major $, so before I get started I wanted to find out if after-market stuff sounds better than the top end BA stuff. The stock system probably would have been a top of the line system 5-10 years a go, so it doesn't sound bad, just wondering how much better things can sound, and it sound like I can make major improvement. My other concern is that I don't lose the storage space in the back, that's why I don't want to spend thousands of dollars to fill the rear with amps and speakers.

·
Registered
557 Posts
You can definitely do MUCH better than anything the Factory offers... I say that with confidence regardless of the latests & greatest name they now slap on the premium systems...

It's all a matter of what you are willing to spend to get the results you want.

I have about $3500 worth in equipment + my time... To me it is worth every penny & I compete just to make sure I'm up to par with the best of the best out there... my obsecion I know.. but it's better & cheaper than drugs & alcohol since every day I have something to show for it... ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the main info I needed is that I can do better than stock. I don't really want to spend $3500, at least not at one time (gotta get new exhaust and intake too!), but I will probably change most of the system over time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.