DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok thinking about changing spark plugs and was looking at prices...well 121 DOLLARS AINT GONNA CUT IT...your telling me that with 16 sparkplugs and at 7 dollars a pop I gotta pay 121 just to change the sparkplugs?or am i just mistaken...?

·
Registered
609 Posts
it dedepends on the brand u use but yes its 16 plugs.... what are u planing to use

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i was looking at sparkplugs.com thinking maybe they were cheaper then the old parts store, but i was looking at ngk iridiums...not sure which one of the iridiums but heard the iridiums period were a good burning plug and along with that purchase i am going to get 8.2 shorty wires

·
MrDestinE
664 Posts
I remember reading somewhere not to use iridiums in the Hemi ( although some members use them to no ill effect ) but the regular plugs work just fine ( I used the NGK 4306 in mine ). I finally changed the plugs in mine @ 56,000... I know, way overdue but the truck was running fine and no loss in MPG... changed them and did not notice any difference... old plugs looked fine with the exception of a really wide tip.. really glad I changed them when I did as a few of them were really tight...

TJ

·
Goodbye My Love . . .
1,761 Posts
Im scared to even think about changing my plugs. I already have them, Im just waiting for one of my friends to help me with it. Im too scared Ill f something up.

Maybe someone can calm my nerves? Cause as soon as I get the new plugs in (NGK 4306), Ill be running a 100 shot! OH YEA!

I bought my plugs at advanced discount auto for $2 a pop. Came to be $32 even. Love have friends who are managers.

·
Hemi 4x4/Challenger T/A
1,485 Posts
The NGK's are fine. Several v-groove and u-groove plugs out there, all fine with the hemi, no exotic metals needed.
Just plan on devoting an hour or two to doing the work. Plan on laying on your belly on top of the motor to gain access to some. Make sure you have a variety of ratchet extensions and at least one universal swivel for it as well. Make darn sure you have a really good spark plug socket, one that has the rubber insert that grabs the plug firmly.
Make sure you gap the new ones before you even start swapping them out.

It's all just unbolt and bolt, unscrew then tighten. Real simple stuff. Take your time and enjoy the satisfaction that comes with knowing you did it yourself (and saved a bunch of money by not taking it to the dealer).

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh yah I have no problem doing it myself its relaxing and I enjoy it very much but the 121 dollars to do it that sucks...

·
Registered
38 Posts
moparedtn said:
The NGK's are fine. Several v-groove and u-groove plugs out there, all fine with the hemi, no exotic metals needed.
Just plan on devoting an hour or two to doing the work. Plan on laying on your belly on top of the motor to gain access to some. Make sure you have a variety of ratchet extensions and at least one universal swivel for it as well. Make darn sure you have a really good spark plug socket, one that has the rubber insert that grabs the plug firmly.
Make sure you gap the new ones before you even start swapping them out.

It's all just unbolt and bolt, unscrew then tighten. Real simple stuff. Take your time and enjoy the satisfaction that comes with knowing you did it yourself (and saved a bunch of money by not taking it to the dealer).
Yes I agree totally! IMO I would start with the passenger side to get the hang of it. The coils are held on by two 10mm bolts (4 coils per side). Also, get a can of anti-seize and smear that on the new plug threads. Do not skip this step (aluminium heads)! Onto the driver's side the two worst plugs sit just under the brake booster. The way to get these plugs out is to drop the spark plug socket into the hole followed by the extension. Hope this helps :gr_patrio Kevin

·
Hemi 4x4/Challenger T/A
1,485 Posts
OncGMnowHemi said:
oh yah I have no problem doing it myself its relaxing and I enjoy it very much but the 121 dollars to do it that sucks...
No, more like less than $50. Again, you don't need iridiums or any of that jazz. The NGK's mentioned in other posts are good quality.
The stock Champion plugs that come in the hemi from the factory are just regular spark plugs, no fancy metals. Mine looked fine when I first changed my plugs at 50k miles.

·
Goodbye My Love . . .
1,761 Posts
I only have 15,527 miles on my truck as of right now.

The only reason Im switching is cause of my NOS system that Im installing. But it seems a big hassle for something so small.

·
stay tuned . . . .
234 Posts
SiZzOuRcE said:
Im scared to even think about changing my plugs. I already have them, Im just waiting for one of my friends to help me with it. Im too scared Ill f something up.

Maybe someone can calm my nerves? Cause as soon as I get the new plugs in (NGK 4306), Ill be running a 100 shot! OH YEA!

I bought my plugs at advanced discount auto for $2 a pop. Came to be $32 even. Love have friends who are managers.
Think you can get me a set as well. im almost to my 36000 mark i think they need changing. we have 16 plugs in our trucks ? damn i didnt know that

·
stay tuned . . . .
234 Posts
SiZzOuRcE said:

any update on this deal for me as well ?

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...have over 30K miles on my set of iridiums...no probs, my truck runs strong...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I changed mine on my hemi. Took me 4 hours. I'd also recommend getting a tube of dielectric grease. Put a light coat of this grease on the inside of the spark plug boot. Makes it easier to install and remove.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I changed my plugs @ 46,000 miles. It was a pain but very straight forward. Another tip is to remove the Air filter box and HEMI hat from top of motor, this gives you good access to the passenger side plugs. I would agree that you really don't need the high dollar Iridium or platinum plugs but everyone has their preferrences. I used the regular NGK V groove plugs and they seem to work just fine. I did notice the stock plugs were all gapped higher than recommened gap (.45 I think). I did notice better acceleration and slight improvement in gas milage.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Do a search on plugs there is a great write up on changing them out there
and I used plain OEM plugs on mine and it runs fine

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
senglehart said:
I changed mine on my hemi. Took me 4 hours. I'd also recommend getting a tube of dielectric grease. Put a light coat of this grease on the inside of the spark plug boot. Makes it easier to install and remove.

^^^ What HE said. This will save you tons of headache on the 2nd or third plug swap you do (provided you keep the truck that long)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.