DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok the other day I saw a thread on here about spark plug wires.. so I got thinking and looking.. some sites like Moe's have a full spark plug wire set and a shorty set....

What's the difference?

Also I noticed with the MSD coil packs... I haven't run an upgraded coil since my 86 D50 2.6L Hemi.. do they do anything for the 5.7s compared to stock?

Also I saw some look like they by pass spark plug wires and use 1 coil to do both plugs in the same cylinder... other than loosing the redundancy if one coil pack fails, what are the pros/cons to using this style, other than you don't need spark plug wires.

The only "issue" I can think of is looking at the stock setup the spark a coil pack sends down the wire to the other cylinder would be a touch (like ms or less) delayed compared to the initial spark from the plug directly connected...

thanks

·
Registered
13,483 Posts
The "old configuration" is strictly for emissions!
The spark plug wire going to another cylinder burns off the last gasoline fumes on the exhaust cycle!
If I upgrade I would do the new 6.1 coils which are also on the 06's and up, one coil fires both plugs in one cylinder, no wires! But you need new valve covers to mount $$$

The shorty wires you refer to are known to cause misfire issues...

·
Black Durangos Rock
800 Posts
This sounds like an interesting idea. Any idea how much $$$ to upgrade to all the 6.1 parts? Any HP gains to be had??

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ahh so those 6.1s would be the ones I see in the picture... would be nice no plug wires....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.