Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just took my D over an off-road trail in CO and coming back into town I noticed that she sounds like a big block Chevy now. Not so noticable at idle, but when I hit the accelerater, I get that throaty sound reminiscent of an 80s pickup truck. It sounds cool (I guess) but not like it's supposed to. Ideas??? I'm wondering if I jarred something loose on the trail...

Your help is appreciated.

·
User
873 Posts
Probably something may have hit the exhaust, causing a slight leak somewhere. I would suggest jacking it up, starting it up, and get under the car to see where it is leaking. Of course, be careful under a running car... the exhaust will get just a little hot. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already crawled under her...no visible leaks along the exhaust lines. The sound seems to come from inside the engine compartment- maybe the exhaust manifold is leaking or else where it connects to the exhaust piping?? Has anyone had a problem like this? I don't want to tear everything apart in there unless I know it's something I can fix myself...

·
Registered
290 Posts
bring it to an exhaust shop..have'em take a look at it. They usually do free inspections (least by me) and stuff and then they'll tell ya how much or what needs to be done.

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
exhaust leak probably.....

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
cracked manifold?

·
Work in progress...
1,202 Posts
If it is coming from the engine compartment my bet would be either the exhaust manifold is cracked, or your air hat got jarred loose so some of the sound is coming straight up out of the throttlebody. But I would say its the manifolds. I just read about a guy who ran through a big puddle and cracked one of his exhaust manifolds. Hot manifold + lotsa cold water = cracked manifold

·
'00 Dango
272 Posts
Definately, take it to a certified shop to check it out. If you are feeling up to it, though, check from the headers back. By now you should see some black marring the surface of the pipe where it is leaking through. Use a mirror to see the back sides. One possibility to check: You may have a blown gasket at the headers. Mine blew on the bottom/back on the drivers side and a friend at a muffler shop told me that he has seen this many times on the D. If you do have to change the gasket purchase on from the dealership (stop the BOOOOOing!) as they are cheaper and, in the opinion of the local racing experts, superior to the aftermarket gaskets.

·
Registered
476 Posts
My gasket went on my dvr side. The guy at the shop said its common on the D's. Got a new manifold and gasket(from dealership) and all new studs, bolts, etc.

·
Registered
95 Posts
At least you found your problem. However I am ALWAYS wary when a shop says that it is a "common" problem on a certain make or model.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
It's not common at least on the 4-5 Dodge/Dak/Durango forums I've been on for the last eight years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's COMMON... more common on the passenger side. If you've off-roaded and hit the exhast there's a good chance it can pop the heads on the already rusted rear manifold bolts. A big clue... if you can move the manifold heat shield... you know what the problem is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.