DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm somewhat bummed out my cool Dodge Ram 1500 short-wide truck with 44,600 miles on it..that I just bought this summer..already needs the rear axel overhauled..:bawl:..

I do have the extra warranty I purchased with the truck..so it shouldn't cost me much out of pocket to have it repaired.

But now I'm stuck driving my old Z71 Chevy...while my Dodge sits alongside the driveway waiting for Monday..and the Dodge shop. :ugh

Not pissed...just sad...Tell me some good things about third gen Rams to cheer me up..PLEASE?

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
Don't know to say to cheer you up

Will say you should probably take the time to verify what you have now and what you might want in the way of upgrades.
From the dealer you can probably get different gear ratios at near or perhaps the same cost maybe up to 3.92 or 4.10
and if you don't have a limited slip you might or might not want to pay the upgrade price for that.
All assuming they will work with you a little in the process.

·
Ramistered User
6,420 Posts
This is your truck's way of saying it needs 4.56 gears.

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
true that, but even though aftermarket 4.56's are probably cheaper than oem anything it might be hard get that to happen on a warranty deal.

·
Ramman
1,599 Posts
you know breakage is actually a good thing. It allows you to upgrade.

When I loss some teeth, it was a great thing, now I have some bad ass teeth! When my buddy lost his leg, he thought it would suck.. Now he has some Bionic super leg made of some super metal... and on top of that he uses it to get laid almost every weekend, BY A DIFFERENT WOMAN!

With out negative things in our life's, you cant have positive things. No Light, with out darkness, No Life, with out death, No FUN! with out sadness.

You must endure the negative things in life to enjoy the positive things. And the negative things just make the positives seem that much brighter.

I look forward to breakage, it allows me to build BIGER, Better, Stronger, both on my cars, and in my life....

Think...

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
I remember when I was kid one of my elderly relatives made a statement just like that
When I loss some teeth, it was a great thing, now I have some bad ass teeth!
didn't say bad ass but same concept.
What he didn't explain was just how freaking expensive teeth are.

·
AROD'S TRUCK
4,410 Posts
you know breakage is actually a good thing. It allows you to upgrade.
That's the same thing my father taught me when growing up and I tell my wife that all the time. I love that excuse/reasoning. :rck::D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ehh?...I'm not a 'modder'..'mudder'..or 'hot-rodder'...I believe the truck has 3.21 gears in it....a 4.7 engined 'TRX' 2 wheel drive. Cool little scoot.

I do like pojects...but my project is a 1984 Jeep J20...and a 1967 MGB(which is done..the Jeep is a driveable future project for restore).

No..my little Dodge 1500 was bought to haul my butt reliably..while my Z71 became my work/farm truck along with the Jeep 3/4 ton..and I gave my old 1995 F250 to my 16 year old son...I bought the Dodge to be my 'Sunday go to meeting' truck...go on long drives to the mall truck...go do some casual quail-hunting(on dry ground) truck...to be my nice/clean vehicle to attend funerals/family get togethers..go to Wal Mart..take my lady to the ritzy resturants and a movie...that sort of truck.

Now if I want to take the woman for a ride..we got the Z71(which smells like cigarette smoke and is really dirt inside)..or a Jeep 3/4 ton which rides like a runaway lumber wagon.

If we go out this weekend..we drive the Challenger she stole from me(I really..really didn't buy it for her..it just got confiscated)..or her Tahoe..which she's driving today because it's raining..andshe don't want to get her stolen Challenger dirty.

I got plenty of vehicles(including a clean Dodge Challenger setting in the garage..and a Z71 Chevy I need to unload the tractor parts from and clean out)..I was just developing a bond with my Dodge..when it's rear axel takes a crap!!

Idle ramblings of a man who's Dodge cratered on him..

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
Well if you do have less than 3.92 gearing you probably can get them to install oem 3.92's as replacements. (if it does need gears) which would be a nice performance upgrade.
but bearings alone can make more noise than you can probably imagine.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's all better now..and the truck's axel ain't whining anymore. Apparently a side bearing was going down...Tech fixed it right up....Had the dealership install a receiver hitch too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.