DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorry to bring up an old subject!! Bend my door???

4K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  mlobitz 
#1 ·
I have wind noise, as many do, at higher speeds, or even lower speeds on windy days. Is it the seals? I checked them, they arent torn, but I could use a little more contact. I am hesitant about the "bend the door" trick. Has anyone done this with positive results, or is there an easier, SAFER trick? Thanks

#2 ·
Im interested in any other tricks as well. I have been trying to bend my door for 2 years now with no success. The only way I read to do it is put the window down, knee against the armrest and give a good yank. Well, Im not a small guy by any means, and I have tugged, yanked, pulled, cussed, farted, yanked and yanked some more and no change.

#3 ·
Ive known people to try this bending method and it always had no or worse result. Im not sure hoe bad or what you are referring to as wind noise but with mine at high speeds it has slight noise that I attribute to the aerodynamics of the vehicle. The only annoying noise is when I crack the window to flick out cigarette ashes and if I open it more the noise goes away.

#4 ·
On an episode of Trucks or Shade Tree Mechanic a few years back they showed how to fix air leaks in door seals. They used a dollar bill and put that between the door and seal. They closed the door and then slid the bill up and down the door to find where the seal was not as tight. They marked the locations and then just used some black window sealant and added some behind the seal to move it out some. Retested with the dollar bill and it stopped the leaks.

Another thing to check is your blend door. It may sound like a air leak on the door but it is actually the blend door not closing properly. If you are driving around without any climate control on try just turning on the fan and see if the noise goes away. I have this issue on my truck and I just drive around all the time with my climate control on.

#6 ·
The dollar bill is a good way to test seal's. Just to give an idea of how little it take's to get the wind noise, on my 2nd gen dodge ram there was a piece of clear tape running down the door front jamb. It was coming loose, so i pulled it off. This created a wind noise at cruising speed. I did'nt realize at the time the tape was factory installed. Using the dollar bill trick and some clear tape might work. (if it's not a big leak) Worth a try!!!

#7 ·
I work at a body shop and we have to do this all the time even with new doors. I would try to adjust the latches first and if that dont work you can roll the window down and put a block of wood at the bottom and push on the top of the door. Go easy it usually dont take alot.

#9 ·
how exactly do you adjust the door latches? And I don't think bending the door would be my first option. However, if your car has ever had one of those "break in" kits for locked in keys then your door could be bent already. Also, i think there was a TSB about this and there is a seal or fix for it. I'm not sure if this was the exact same thing but i think i remember reading about it. Also, for what its worth, mine does it too and i can actually feel my door moving up and down or in and out (not sure which) when im driving if i put my fingers near the seal

#13 ·
I've replaced the door seals. Still an issue. :nono

#14 ·
I had this issue as well. First I adjusted the latch in toward the interior. Just two torx bolts and it will move in. There is a balance here as the further in you move it the harder it is to close the door and the more pressure it puts on the mechanism as evidenced by it requiring a harder pull on the handle to open the door.

I adjusted to where the door was flush, the handle pull wasn't hard but wasn't soft and the door closed without requiring a good push.

This solved most of the issue, still had some noise on windy days. So then I did the bend trick. Rolled window down, knees on door, gave it 3-4 good quick yanks, not enough to bend it much and that fixed the rest of the problem. No more rattling and minimal wind noise.

#16 ·
I looked at mine, and do not believe mine are adjustable. I think I read this as well, some are some arent. Mine arent:mad:

#15 ·
Its amazing to see how weak actually the window frame is attached. The mustang I worked on took no more than 100 lbs of force to move frame.

#21 ·
well hell i thought it was just my truck ive tried everything and nothing has helped didnt know about the bending the frame im a big guy and id pro. overbend it knowing my luck

#22 ·
the wood would go between bottom of door and bottom of cab of truck, sandwiched. while sandwiched and holding bottom of door with knee, push the top of the door window frame and watch it bend (well flex).

#25 ·
Dealer did this adjustment to my truck and it worked great for awhile but I noticed a few months later the adjustment made the gasket push out and tear were the door piller runs along the windshield. Noise is back not as bad as before though. I was told that they'll fix it but I have to buy the gasket. I thought I had read somewhere on here that they make a replacement weather strip/gasket thats thicker that fixed this?

#26 ·
There's a TSB about this issue. The gasket is not thicker, it's molded differently so that the door edge misses the gasket. I've done the replacement on my truck and it's easy to do yourself. Screw paying the dealer.

#27 ·
if you dont want to adjust the latch. roll down your window, put a 4x4 wooden block between the cab and door (around the latch) and push on the top of the door. it will bend the top of the door in a bit for a better seal. ive done these to several cars and trucks and works great

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.