DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to the dealer, both the dodge dealer and the Chrysler dealer to try and get the flash for the stalling. NO LUCK. I went to Chrysler because thats where I get my work done on it.

Anyways, since it is only a TSB they won't pay for the flash, $90.00. I think its crap, its a safety issue should be a recall. I called Chrysler and they said the same thing, but added that should it be a turned into a recall they MICHT reimburse me since I paid to have it done.

It pisses me off considering one of the two time it did it this weekend, I damn near hit a tree. So, I plan on going a few more routes to see if they won't pay for it, if not I will either pay and get it fixed or well you know...

What do you think?

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
very true! 90 bucks seems like a lot but i would not worry about spending that. just get it done. and then if it does come out on recall you can get ur money back

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I know but it irritates me that they won't make it a recall. I thought safety issues were recalls? Almost makes me wish I would of hit the tree... It is going in on Monday for the recall and to get this straightened out. The only good thing is that IF it is the PCM and it needs more than a flash it is covered under the power train warranty with the $100 deductible. It don't help much now since the reflash is less than the deductible but it will help if they find more wrong with it...

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They said MIGHT reimburse no guarantees as they will review it on a case by case basis...I can't risk the wife getting into an accident with it if it unexpectedly stalls when turning. I am sure they will pay it though.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
What sucks is that $90 buys you 15 minutes of a techs time so sit with the wireless unit while he updates the computer. It kind of depends on the dealership. Some will do it for free. Call around.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
OH i know about hitting a tree car house!!! i stalled on my about 3 months ago when we had all that rain. the other driver looked at me like i was stupid!! yeah go get it fixed can't afford to lose someone. money can't buy life!!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Well we all know from a big 80's movie that [start my best singing voice]Can't buy me loooooove, looooooove, can't buy me love[/end my best singing voice]. Back on topic: Just get it fixed, you will be kicking your self in the jimmy if you hurt someone.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Report it to the NHTSA as well. If enough people complain - as they did about the stalling issue (which this sounds like) then maybe they can get a bona-fide recall going.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I believe this is related to the stalling issue, however seeing as how the TSB is worded as such that it pertains to "low idle" and not stalling I think that is how they can skate around it being a recall.

My biggest problem is that if you look up what the difference between a recall and a TSB ---

"There are two types of motor vehicle recalls. The first is when a vehicle has a safety related defect as determined by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHSTA). This would be a Mandatory Recall. A Voluntary Recall is when the manufacturer recalls vehicles for a defect not necessarily related to safety. Any repairs made under a recall is paid for by the manufacturer."
----------------------
Is this not a safety issue? If she stalls while I am going around a corner does it not jeopardize my safety, my families safety, and other motorist safety?

It will be getting fixed Monday hopefully, but I will get something done about it, weather they reimburse me or do it for free.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The title of this thread says it all.

I have only been on this planet 44 years. I see very few companys that care as little as this one does about repeat buisness.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I got reflashed when they did the dash recall - didn't you?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats what the plan is, but they are still making me pay for it. Unless there is something else they do with the recall that reflashes the PCM.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
After the dash is fixed - they re-flash to the latest load version. This should have the 'fix' in it as well. If you have not done the dash - let them do it before you pay for a re-flash now... otherwise you you pay for something that is free.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good point, I didn't know they did a re flash with the dash, of course the stealership wouldn't tell me that!!!

The only question I have is, does this re flash the PCM because isn't there a separate computer for the dash, at least that is what I thought...

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh and yeah the dash is getting done Monday and they were going to do the re-flash then. I guess I will hold off on having that done. Thanks for the info though...

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Called the dealer and they said the reflash was for the cluster so not sure if that will fix the stalling.

Another thing I have noticed is that if you have your foot on the gas and are cruising in town it has a hesitation. All this started when the stalling started again. Its not bad but if you watch the tach you can see it and barely feel it hesitating. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
AFAIK it is 'one' flash' for the computer. This includes engine functions, lights, etc.

Yes, the update flash modifies the cluster function due to the recall - but they 'updated' the load (for the stalling) before the recall - so the 'one flash' will cure both in your case.

Test it. After the recall see if it stops stalling. Mine did.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
^Correct! The latest flashes have everything in one shot, even if yours doesn't need something it, the files get overwritten.

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
Sounds like you've got a pretty crappy couple of dealers... I had mine done no problem.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.