DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fairly new to me 2008 Ram 1500...something's whining...either the output planetary in the trans..or the rear axel...my guess is the rear axel.

So really..what's the most common drivetrain chunk to crater..the trans or differential?

It's running fine..shifting fine..no sign of darkness or metal in the trans fluid..or at least on the stick...I checked the fluid in the axel when I got it..and I guess I need to shinny under the truck again and check to see if it's making metal..

·
Registered
439 Posts
the differential is probably the first thing that goes. The issues were apparently fixed in 2007.5 with improved designs on the limited slip differential but I'd still bet money on the rear being the problem.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
Yeup... its most likely your LSD carrier and the broken Clutch pack retaining clip.

Get it looked at ASAP... these have been known to take out entire rear housings... the only fix being to replace the entire axle.. housing and ALL!

SEE THE CLUTCH PACK RETAINING CLIP POLL>..

SPEED SAFE, NICK

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think my truck has a limited slip dif...but I could be wrong.

I do know when you jack it up..both wheels don't turn together..turn one wheel and the other side turns the opposite direction..I was assuming it's a standard differential.

All this doesn't mean the differential ain't whining...that's what I was thinking too.

Guess I'll have to drive my Chevy for a few days until I get a chance to pop the dif cover and look at it all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tires rotating opposite directions on the jack....that's an unlimited slip peg-legger.

I just went through this with my '02. I started out by replacing the front wheel bearing packs, mine were very well toasted, and causing a lot of noise.

However, it has come to light that I seem to have a tire issue as well....104K on the same Michelin LTX radials is surely causing a ruckus. Check all the simple stuff before you jump to the spendy shit. Bearings, tires, possibly power steering pump, possibly slightly dragging brakes......

How many miles are on your truck?

Tim

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's the rear axel for sure..and The truck goes in Monday for repair.

I got around to dropping the driveshaft off the rear axel..and giving it a spin with the wheels up.

The pinion shaft feels horrible!!..Cannot feel any lash between the pinion and ring-gear..gears are crammed together..has a hitch in the git-along when rotating the pinion shaft too. It's not loose..as far as bearings..at least it feels so to me. However it feels like the gears ain't set up properly..and have started to eat each other..

Must've been dope-smoking/beer drinking day for the axel setter-upper when my axel got put together.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ehh..It's all fixed now.

I took it in Monday morning..they didn't get it into the shop until evening...Tuesday afternoon they called to tell me the thing had a bearing going down...gears all good..parts ordered.

Thursday afternoon(today) called and told me it was done...I had the dealership install a receiver hitch while they were at it(and under it)...my deductable..hitch and hitch install cost me $269...the tech replaced all the center-section bearings..and some sort of spacer..likely the pinion shaft crush sleeve or something like that.

I spent from Monday until today underhauling and patching up a John Deere 4455...rolling in new engine bearings..installing a new radio..fixing the dash wiring..trouble shooting the tach module..replacing the fuel level sensor...

My truck ain't whining now...my kids says it doesn't sound like an F16 Falcon spooling up anymore. We went and got McDonolds after work..nice and quiet..smoooth...I feel a lot better about it.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Make sure your fluid is filled to overflow. Dealers say about 5/8" below the hole, which IMHO is BS. Most rears fail from "pinion bearing failure due to lack of lubrication". How is this possible if fluid is at proper level ??? Just make sure your axle vent tube is free of any obstructions by hitting it (after removing it) with some compressed air.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.