DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Infinite Lives
6,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was looking at my engine today,Live in CORONA CA MOST BORING PLACE ON EARTH,and I was lookin at the mods I have done to it.When I thought "holy crap what am I gonna do when smog check come around.Would they pass the test? I am thinking of adding new cams and probably a super charger and I dont want that money to go to waste installing them and then removing them for the test and the installing them AGAIN.Has anyone thought of this?

·
Registered
521 Posts
not sure how it is there but here in texas as long as there isnt any engine lights on it passes. (also has to have cats. visual inspection) it is done through the obdII port

·
Infinite Lives
6,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here in California they hook you up to a computer and run your car to see how much smog it puts out.Thats what im afraid of

·
ChiefW
34 Posts
My advice is to find someone who can hook you up man. Pay a little more and pass every time.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Supercharger and cams would not fail you, an engine misfire would though.

·
SRT-4
3,262 Posts
I've thought about it aswell but as long as the mods you've done are carb approved you wont have a problem for sure.

Even if they're not, I think there wouldn't be a problem with any of the standard bolt ons. Even cams for that matter. Just dont mess with the cat!

·
HEMI.,need I say more
477 Posts
when i lived out there there was like a smog referee or something like that where you could just pay $200 bucks and they would pass you. that was 11 years ago though

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Andy said:
... but as long as the mods you've done are carb approved you wont have a problem for sure.
CARB approval is critical, but does not guarantee a pass. You will fail the visual test if you do not have the correct model numbers for your specific rig. IE, I had to smog my 01 RAM earlier this year when I sold it. I almost failed the visual test because the K&N FIPK II model number was not entered correctly in the CARB database. So if you put a bolt-on designed for an 04 on an 05 ... even though it may be CARB approved and fit perfect ... you may fail the visual test until CARB catches up.

I would talk with a reputable smog place prior to your actual day and see what the mechanic has to say. Because if you take it in ... you pay whether you pass or fail.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Move to Florida, another boring place to live (other than spring break), and do anything you want. No inspections of any kind. :D

·
Infinite Lives
6,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Blacwolf that is not such a bad idea :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.