DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so due to ever changing economic conditions I've half-ass made up my mind to trade in my 2004 1500 Q/C, 4.7L v8 with 5-speed manual for something smaller, still in the 1500 line. I've got a few questions, maybe I can make up my mind in a hurry :) I've settled on a 2005 regular cab slt, I wanted the 6-speed but the dealership is saying I can't get one until later in the year (bummer), but I guess I can live with the auto (sure would be nicer in the city).

1. Gas mileage... What I currently get is very poor, 10.5 in town 19 on the highway (if I stay below 70), otherwise the top end starts tanking. My truck now has 3.55 gears, is there a better selection? Will I get better mileage on the smaller truck?

2. Size... Because of the line of work I'm in, I spend a lot of time in parking lots and garages, the extra set of doors on the q/c makes it a pain to maneuver sometimes, does it get better with the smaller truck?

3. Room... Now, I'm a big 'ol boy, I'm not going to lie. Am I going to be happy with a single cab? Will there be enough room in the front?

Please oh please, someone help :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
You could always move up to a Hemi and still get a little better gas mileage. I would and Am. My neighbor has a 6cyl QC and he hates it. He has to run inside and take a cold shower every time I fire up the 4.7 with the flowmaster 40, now dumped. I can only imagine that he will turn **** and come jump me when I get home with my new Hemi. If all else fails, check out the dakota with he Hemi. Much less weight, and all that much more power!!! :rck: :rck: :rck: :rck: :rck:

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Dude you will accomplish nothing by trading in for another ram. Your payments will be more and the milage will be about the same. The QC and RC get about the same.

·
SRT-4
3,262 Posts
I dont know about talking you out of it, but I'll give my take on the RC

I usually get 14-15mpg combined in my truck with varied driving city and highway. (3.55 gears & heavy foot)

It is pretty easy to drive around even in tight places for the most part it doesn't drive like its as big as it is, and it is fairly big... No doubt easier than a QC though

The cab is pretty huge, especially as far as regular cabs go... I don't know exactly how big you are, I'm kinda between medium and large myself (5'11" 220) and I feel small sitting in it... I've even slept in the drivers seat a few times, it reclines pretty far. I can't reach the pedals with the seat all the way back, and I have a lot of head room left above my head.

If you have any other questions I'll try to answer. I'm extremely happy with my regular cab, though I've never had any need for a quad cab, so the RC suits me to begin with.

·
C HEMI GO
1,739 Posts
Yeah, upgrade intake, exhaust and rear gears and don't worry about trading. If you do, go hemi and get some higher gears (4.XX range)

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
1 You probably won't do much better on gas. I get less than you do on highway but better city, but I do have four wheel drive.

2 Size wise the Reg cab is shorter but not as much as you'd think. When your parked along side a quad cab you'll see how much longer the door on the reg cab is. A good 5 to 6 inches and then more room behind the closed door compared to the rear doors of the Q/C.

3 Room in cab. OK I'm not little, 6'2" and 275 lbs and normally would always have seat right back in anything I drive. Do in the reg cab but don't need to if that makes any sense. Plenty of room.

If your a stick driver you may really not like the 5 speed auto, it does some very odd things and you sort of have to learn to drive around it. I have 3.55 and would go with the highest ratio you can.
Bottom line if it's for economic reason's, it doesn't stack to trade for better MPG. You'd be better of with a " beater " and keep the truck for the good stuff.
And you'll have plenty of room if you do go ahead.

·
Banned
7,195 Posts
if you're going to trade it in for something smaller get a V6 but if you're going to get a regular cab with the same engine it won't make hardly any difference. Trust me.

·
Registered
385 Posts
JW, my 2cents: better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, let me add something to the pot, something I probably should have mentioned in the first post, regarding my payments. When I bought the truck I got shoved into 17.5% interest, which is running my payments through the roof, I went back just looking around about 2 months ago, they ran the numbers and chrysler is offering me 4.9% now, after 8 mos. of good paying.

Now, before you say it, no, I cannot go out and refinance with a third-party, aparently Chrysler Financial has had a problem with computer systems and hasn't reported anything to the credit bureaus for at least 25,000 people since last July, they expect to be back online either the end of this month or next. To add fuel to the fire, no third party finance company will except a letter from Chrysler saying "Hey, he's been paying good...". Oh well..

So, two questions... One, how does the Regular Cab ride, rougher? and, I hear all of this talk of gears, is there a chart anywhere that shows what going to a different set of gears does for me, mileage vs. pickup, etc...?

Thanks for all the advice ya'll!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Forget the MPG issue. There isn't that much difference and you will loose quite a bit of $$$$$ trading a relatively new 04 this soon.

If the size issue is that important..go for it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you like your truck keep it. The first thing I did to mine was exhaust, very little gain in miledge but the sound was worth it. I'm saying save some money and go for a gear change. I've been checking it out and getting the rpm's up is what it takes. At 1900 rpm's I get 14.6 mpg's, now at 2100 rpm's i'm getting 15.7. Thins is combined city, bumper to bumper, highway average, not instant miledge. I have stock stance, if i was lowered I could get even better. I'm looking at 4.10's and think I could get the miledge plus performance, in my mind 4.56 is for racing. Now you could go to a Hemi RC and have more fun, but your looking at payments for 5 more years. Just my 2 cents.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Trade out now. The quicker you trade out of that high interest loan the better. You are paying all interest right now and no principal. Take as little beating as you can(probably a big one), but get out now. See if you cant find a leftover or get one with good incentives. I have a 04 slt rc 4x4 and It suits me fine. 15mpg avg, 20 on the highway at 65 3.92 rear. I would get a rc. I am average size 6' 210 and I have MORE than enough room for myself and two occupants. The only reason I would trade up is if my girl had triplets

·
2012 Texas Ram Express
4,220 Posts
i had a 03' Reg cab 2wd ram with 4.7, and now have a 05' Reg cab 4x4 ram with the HEMI, and it gets about 2 mpg better in the city than my 4.7 did, it only got 12. somethng in the city, the HEMI gets about 14., plenty of room, and power!!, I say go for it.

·
Dodge User
1,213 Posts
i have a rc hemi swb with 20s and 3.92 and i drive it like i stole it and i still get 12.5+ mpg in town and 17 on the highway. i also have a tonneau cover which does make aerodynamics better but it weighs alot so i dont know how much that really helps.

my dad has a 4.7 in his durango and he drives like an old man and he gets way worse gas milage than i do.

·
Dodge User
1,213 Posts
ps im 6'2" 225 and i have plenty of room i love my reg cab

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
Since your stuck with a STUPID high interest rate get rid of it ASAP!

You will take a hit and be UPSIDE DOWN.. but in the end it will cost you less to just trade it in and get the lower intrest rate.

BUT if you kept it and want better fuel economey.... go get some 4.56's and go further with less fuel! This is a proven fact not an opinion. Those 3.55's are sucking your tank dry because your truck is 5,000 lbs and those gears do not have the leverage to hold your truck in OD and they are addign way too much stress on the engine and transmission in the city!

The 4.7L will also respond well to an electric fan (remove the clutch fan).

These two mods alone should gain you an AVERAGE of at least 3-4MPG COMBINED city and highway up to 65-70MPH.

Other mods you could do

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions, I really appreciate the support from this forum.

As for being upside down, I won't be near that because I payed quite a bit on the down payment, had to get something after a pretty severe car accident, I put 10 down so I only owe 9 right now on the financing. Figure if I can get a decent trade on my current truck and a decent price on the new truck, only add 4-5k on the loan, least, that's what I'm hoping for anyhow.

KBB says $17500 for my truck as it is now, it's in pretty damn good shape.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I went to the dealership yesterday, left with my original truck... they wanted to give me way, way, WAY less than what KBB (or I) thought it was worth... Crooks.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Yes the KBB "Fair" condition value is closer to what a dealer will give you. I'm surprised your interest is that high with 10% down. I would shop for a loan first.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.