Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Spending
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals, im new ;)

So heres my story, i have a 2003 dodge durango SXT with a 4.7L.

I added boch +4 plugs, and i just bought an intake off ebay (seen below), <-just put ebay.c0m before ebaymoters

ebaymotors/00-06-Dodge-Ram-Dakota-Durango-4-7-3-7-Air-Intake-K-N_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQihZ013QQitemZ230038814824QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

So, did i make a mistake by buying a 60$ intake instead of a "real" expensive one?

BTW can anyone link me to some exhaust websites? prolly under 350$. any tips are more than welcome

·
Registered
409 Posts
yes you wasted your money on the CAI.
they are probably ok for about a month...but then the cheap filter that comes with it goes out and you wind up paying 40-50 for the KN...then the cheap rubber coupling that connects you to the stock intake hood goes...the whole assembly will fall of and be laying on your engine with you wondering why it sounds wierd all of a sudden,

But...I know all this because I bought one....went through all this and just broke down and bought the KN FIPK. sure it is $$$ but I still have it, just clean it and it still works.

DO your mods in step and you will get the best feel from them. otherwise you spend money and get mad because you have to spend more money to make the previously bought mod actually perform good.

1. Spend the dough on a programmer. I sugggest SuperChips but looka round and read up on reviews and posts. Get the one for your 90% vehicle use.

2. Go exhaust. You don't need a full set up, Durango has good piping. Get a good straight through muffler, once again read around. I use Borla, others like Magnaflow....still others use...... you see?

4. Fastman TB.....this is up to you. I think I wasted my $$$ but it is a popular mod.

5.CAI: once you have the exhaust,the throttle body....light it up with some air.

6.ignition stuffs: once again, I and alot of others did it....I think I was fine with stock ignition. Def. replace your plugs and wires, new cap..new rotor(dont skip the cap and rotor it makes a HUGE difference)

7. from here it gets pricy and more complicated but some things do consider next are M1 intake manifold, cams, ported and matched heads, forged internals....of you get into this stuff then just send your D to fastman and let him build you an engine.

8.Remote Turbo or Supercharger setup....$$$$$$$ but $$$$$$$$=HP

good luck, think about each mod and how it will work with future mods to determine your priority. but the programmer should be your first purchase.....IMO

Good luck!!

·
Spending
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good lord, 450$ for the chip. for a 17yr old getting 7.50 an hour thats a INVESTMENT! lol

WEll thanks for pointing out the many things i should keep a look on (and thanks for replying lol)

As for exhaust, i was thinking single exhaust, prolly flowmaster because thats all i can find around here.. pepboys has it for around 400 but doesent seem it will give me the muscle car sound we all want (hehe). any favorites as far as exhaust goes? what did you mean straight through muffler? and i heard of Borla, saw it for about 800$.

just trying to keep all purchases under 200$ a peice

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
The 4.7L TB is a waste for the later years. The early models needed to be opened a tad. Save your money on this one.

I don't believe the 4.7L reacts well to platinum plugs. Could be wrong there since it's been a while since i looked into it. I recommend and use NGK 2262's.

as far as programmers, your ONLY choice is Superchips (used <$250) OR a B&G PCM Flash(~$400) No other programmers are made.

Your muffler probably won't get you much either but it will make it sound bad ass. I would recommend this over the TB.

IMHO if you bought a labeled intake you made a mistake. A homebrew intake is just as good really, plus you save money and know you're getting a good filter. I found out the hard way and paid $268 for mine.

The 4.7L has no ignition upgrades, nor M1 intake. By purchasing your '03 you have the improved "H.O. Intake" from the High Output 4.7L. If it were any earlier year 4.7 you'd have a nice mod right there with the HO intake.

There are no direct fit turbo/superchargers for the '03 Durango with the 4.7L. Everything then would be relatively custom and big $. You can however get (and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND) the Fastman 206 cams! Sweet as sweet can be. Runs you about ~$700 and you have someone install it, that'll be another 5-$800 probably.

Oh yes, in terms of exhausts, don't get a 3" on the 4.7L. The stock pipes flow perfectly well enough for this motor. By getting the larger pipes your powerband will shift even higher than it is already. The 4.7L makes it power at high RPM's, but it doesn't like to stay that high. In it's stock form it's really restricted a lot by the rev limiter on the PCM (4500 I believe?? IDK) The sweet spot for the 4.7L is about 5000-5500 RPM. The only reason you would need bigger pipes on a 4.7 is if you went a super/turbo charged it. Save the money there and just get a good muffler like Rick said.

·
Spending
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks again bud. The +4 plugs allowed me to get to 5500rpms over the stock 4500. Ill look into what you suggested. thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
This is a bit long winded, but here are my suggestions to you and what i did to choose my muffler, and my opinion of it after install.

I have an 03 SLT+ with the 4.7L, now with a flowmaster 40 series and it sounds bad F'n ass!! From the prices you mentioned up in post #3 it looks like your being quoted for full cat-back systems. You do NOT need one of those. The D's pipes are stainless steel and have nice smooth bends, you dont need to replace them. What I did is went to the shop and just had the guy cut off the stock muffer. Then in its place he welded a Flowmaster super-40. The flowmaster is much smaller than the stock muffler so he custom bent a stainless steel pipe to fill in the space and welded it in their real nice. Thats it for the muffler. He let me climb up a ladder and start the D while it was on the lift...VRRROOOOOOOOOMMM. Awesome deep angry loud muscle car tone. From there I wanted a stainless steel tip so i had him cut off the end of the stock pipe and weld on a nice stainless steel 3" tip to exit straight out the back instead of the stock turned down angle. Looks very very nice.

This shop gave me a price of 150$ for the muffler installed, and 50$ for the stainless tip installed. 200$ total and he took off 10% because i paid cash and didnt ask for a reciept. So it cost me 180$ total and i am extremely happy with the sound and performance of my new exaust. Sound has a very very deep rumble at idle and low rpms. Once you open it up it has this bad ass loud pissed off demon from hell sound that I have quickly fallen in love with, and fortunatly so has my girl. I saw a quote on here somewhere that how deep your right foot is in the go peddle is directly related to how good your exaust sounds. Well now i see what that guy was talking about. Before my flowmaster i never really got on it except when needed, after flowmaster i get on it at every oportunity to hear that exaust growl......i love it!!!

My suggestion would be to search this site a while for exaust sound clips. There are plenty of sound clips of flowmasters, borlas, magnaflows etc etc... I spent some time finding those clips and playing them over and over to decide what i liked. I was torn between flowmaster, borla and magnaflow...but i was leaning towards flowmaster. To help decide i had my girl sit next to me faceing away from the computer so she couldnt see which clip was which muffler. I played each of the various flowmaster, magnaflow and borla clips for her. Her opinion was very consistent. For every borla clip i played she claimed she did not like raspy sound they made when reved up, for every magnalfow clip i played she said it sounded nice but a little to mellow, they also had a slight raspy sound when revved. Every different flowmaster clip i played she was like "yea i like that one, sounds real nice and deep" a couple clips later i played a different flowmaster clip and her reaction again, "yea that ones nice to, sounds awesome and not raspy like the other one".

Well I was sold after that. I was already leaning towards a flowmaster and then my girl picked every single flowmaster clip and not a single magaflow or borla clip, that amazed me. Needless to say i had a flowmaster installed and i love it as does my girl.

Right after my install on the way home from the muffler shop I turned alot of heads just coasting down Main St. in town. Some skinny high school aged blonde girl i dont know sitting on one of the shops steps waved to me while i was at a stop light. Im 24, am engaged, and have been with my girl for over 6 years. I felt awkward as hell so i just quickly waved back and then pretended to be busy with something in my center console untill the light turned green lol. The flowmaster definatly draws attention to you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
From what Ive read on this site it seems to be agreed that a Superchips programmer is the best bang for you buck performance mod. Cut in exaust, Superchips programmer and a decent CIA are the 3 easy to do cheeper mods for the 03 4.7L motor.

Exaust wont give you much performance gains, but can make your D sound awesome.

Superchips programmer has the best performance gains, just you will need to fill up with 91 octance fuel instead of the 87 octane regular stuff.

Some claim a CIA increases power, other claim it increases MPG, others claim both, and then there are those who claim so substantial gains but it made their motor sound a little meaner. My guess is that you could expect your engine bay to be a little louder and you'd most likely get a slight power increase as well as a slight increase in fuel efficiency. Nothing major, but every bit helps.

Beyond that you'd have to start spending some big $$$ to make additional power. Fastman 206 cams are very very highly rated on here, but are expensive and the cost is doubled when you need to have it installed by a professional.

Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
MadMike05 said:
thanks again bud. The +4 plugs allowed me to get to 5500rpms over the stock 4500. Ill look into what you suggested. thanks
How do spark plugs allow higher RPMs? The shift point is computer controlled.

·
Spending
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Neil F. said:
How do spark plugs allow higher RPMs? The shift point is computer controlled.
i dont really know, im not a car wiz by any means. The plugs were the first thing i EVER put in the truck, and now it goes up to 55 instead of 45. so all i know is what ive seen

·
Registered
54 Posts
I haven't touched my plugs or any part of ignition system. Though i dont really know what my redline even is (no redline on the physical tacometer), i know that i have seen my tac up above 5 grand, just not sure how much above. Maybe you just never noticed it before, or never got on it enough before.

·
Spending
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oo ive got on it!!! lol. Maybe i never noticed :) Still, i like to think its the plugs :)

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
The 5.9 has a stock WOT shift point at 4800. The Mopar PCM will raise it to 5200. I don't know what the stock 4.7 is nor what Hypertech or Superchips will raise shift points to.

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
I thought it was the other way around, that when they had the separate ECM/TCM the tuners weren't controlling it. No?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well this thread poped into my head as i was leaving the bank this morning. Turning onto the road i gave it about 90-95% throtle (traffic infront of me prevented going WOT). According to my TAC the D shifted from 1st to 2nd at approx 5300 rpm. So id guess that the stock redline is somewhere around 5.5 - 6k rpm.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sounds about right. Like i said i was not at WOT...so 5800 sounds about right for bein WOT.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.