DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The speedometer on my 1984 D100 wasn't working when I got it. I assumed a broken speedo cable, but replacing it didn't fix anything. The dial on the instrument panel works fine, it moves when I manually spin the other end of the cable. Tried reseating the pinion gear in the transmission housing, but no dice. What do I try next?

·
Registered
1976 Dodge D100 Custom Utiline 360 A-833 OD trans.
616 Posts
What trans do you have? Some of the speedo drive gear housings need to be rotated so the cable and pinion gears mesh properly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
EDIT: I realize now I skipped step #5 in the service manual instructions below ("Note number of gear teeth"). I'm going to get back under there and give it another go, following all the instructions this time.

----

Thanks for the reply! I have an automatic transmission -- is that what you're asking, or were multiple types of automatic transmissions installed in these trucks?

The service manual does say that the cable housing needs to be positioned so that the 3 numbers indicating the gear ratio are at 6 o'clock. Here are the instructions:
Publication Font Book Paper Symmetry
Motor vehicle Font Parallel Automotive design Poster

I tried this, but the numbers embossed on the housing look different from in the diagram, so I'm not sure I have it right. Here's how it's currently installed (as you can see, the bolt for the clamp is positioned differently on my truck than in the diagram, at about 9 o'clock relative to the connector):
Automotive tire Rim Bicycle part Auto part Automotive wheel system

As I recall, there are three pairs of numbers embossed on the pinion -- two are visible here, and there is a third at about 10 o'clock. Maybe I need to give it a 90 degree turn either clockwise or counter-clockwise and reseat it? I think that may be how it was originally installed, but to be honest I didn't take good enough notes to be sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Success! I decided to just try the other two possible positions for the pinion and the first one got the speedo working :) It's a bit jumpy, so if anyone has suggestions on how to fix that, let me know.

In the meantime, thanks to @cribbs74 for prompting me to take another look!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts