DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys - my '06 4x4 Hemi Quadcab has had a vibration while braking for a while. So I just replaced the original rotors and pads with NAPA slotted rotors and semi-metallic pads, and the vibration is gone. However, the brakes are quite soft now. I was careful while putting in the new pads so I don't think any air was introduced in the system, but i went ahead and bled the brakes anyway, but the brakes are still soft.

Is there any adjustment in the calipers I might have screwed up? If I pump the brakes they work well for the next use, but fade again quickly, which seems to me like it may be air in the system, but I have bled the brakes out twice and there is no air in the lines. Anyone have any ideas before i take it in?

Bill

· LPG Hemi
2,810 Posts
Could it be that your just experiencing the brakes "bedding in" ?
I know that it takes about 500 miles of easy on/off driving for the new pads and rotors to bed in.
I've just done exacly the same on my truck and the brakes are brilliant now. Way better than when I first installed them. But, they now have about 650 miles on them.
Is your pedal going further to the floor than it used to?
Does the pedal fell spongy?
If in any doubt about your brakes, obviously take it to a place that can check it out.
Don't muck about with this stuff!
Al.

· Registered
10,350 Posts
calipers have no adjustments on 99% of all cars/trucks. The pads and new rotors will seat with another in around 500 miles or less if you are burnishing them. You have a surface on the rotors tring to mate with the pads which have small raised specs all over them,once the rotor gets shined with the pads,your pedal will get better.

This is only if your install was correct,so you may need to double check everything just to make sure.........Ive seen the ears of the pads not all the way on the slide making the pedal low because the pad was bending.

Fellows,with small issues that only happen once you do work,double check and triple check,sometimes even the easiest appearing job can be hacked so please double check your work.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - I should go ahead and double check everything. The brakes definitely feel spongy - not like a break-in period, which is why I am concerned. I can push the pedal all the way to the floor and not engage the ABS, which seems to be too much travel. But that is great advice - I will go back and double check the actual install, not just bleed the brakes.

Thanks again for the advice!

Bill

· Premium Member
31,324 Posts
The last two brake jobs were the opposite; at first they just about put me thru the windshield and after five or six hundred miles they eased up. As your brakes have been breaking in, you may have gotten the brake fluid too hot and it boiled on you. You may well have air in your brake system and I believe I would bleed the brakes.

· Got 2 Hemis
5,057 Posts
"Spongy" would indicate air. "Soft" might be low fluid, but I figure you checked that. When my brakes were done, I went with ceramic pads. They are known to require more pedal pressure, but once I got used to it, no big deal. I do like the fact there's no brake dust on the wheels anymore. Excellent grip, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.