DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on the Hemi, unlike a conventional engine, if you pull a plug wire, the idle does not change at all. I tried multiple ones with no idle change. I was hoping after pulling #1 (if anyone has kept up with my Cyl1 misfire) and the idle not changing it would narrow me down to that cylinder. I pulled 2, 3, 4, 5 (1 at a time, not all off at once) and NONE gave an idle change. So this conventional way of checking a cylinder does NOT work on the Hemi, I'm guessing it has something to do with dual plugs in each cylinder.

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
Well, pulling a plug wire on the Hemi will only disable the "waste" plug, which probably won't have much effect on the idle anyway. You'll have to pull the coil pack to keep the "primary" plug from firing. If you disconnect the coil pack, you'll be disabling TWO plugs which will give you false results. I guess you could pull the coil pack off the main plug, but leave the waste plug connected. I'm not sure what that would do - it might give you better results.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You don't want the coil to try to fire with no plug wire or plug connected. It WILL destroy the coil. Just unplug an injector if you're trying to kill a cylinder.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You don't want the coil to try to fire with no plug wire or plug connected. It WILL destroy the coil. Just unplug an injector if you're trying to kill a cylinder.
The point was to find out which cylinder, if any, was in need of something. If I unplug the injector, it will cause the idle to change on every cylinder. I think the only way is a leak down test.

·
Registered
39 Posts
How will it affect the other cylinders? When you unplug an injector, idle should drop about 50 rpm. So, say you unplug 1, and idle only drops 20 rpm, or none at all. Now plug 1 in and unplug 2. If idle drops 50 rpm, it means you do, indeed have a problem on 1. Accomplishes the same thing as pulling plug wires, without the risk of melting a coil down or taking a 40,000 volt hit.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok I follow you. I've never messed with injectors so can you give me direction on where they are and what they look like?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.