DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and didn't need to. I pulled the NGKs out after 15,000 miles of hard use (lots and lots of nitrous), decided I'd put in a fresh set of them, gapped at .032. So I start pulling the plugs out...definitely didn't need to change them. There was no gap erosion, the firing tip still had 4 nice hard edges on it (the V groove was still perfect), and the ceramic was clean as hell.

So...moral of the story is that a set of NGK BKR7Es (proably 6Es too, for that matter) will probably last you 30k, no problem even when spraying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nitrous

I have similar mods in my 05 Dak except for the nitrous. Can you direct me to where I can learn more about the "Zex" kit? I've heard nitrous can get pretty expensive if you use it often. I changed my plugs at 30k as recommended by Dodge and they were badly pitted and burnt. The Bosch platinum was an immediate improvement.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JackDak said:
I have similar mods in my 05 Dak except for the nitrous. Can you direct me to where I can learn more about the "Zex" kit? I've heard nitrous can get pretty expensive if you use it often. I changed my plugs at 30k as recommended by Dodge and they were badly pitted and burnt. The Bosch platinum was an immediate improvement.
If you plan on running nitrous, you'll have to ditch platinum plugs. Platinum plugs don't play well with nitrous (major engine damage). As for the Zex kit, I have the 82023 universal EFI kit, used the schrader valve on the fuel rail to tap for fuel and I went with a .043 nitrous jet and the standard 75 shot fuel jet (I think its 26). This equates to about a 90 shot.

www.zex.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nitrous

Thanks for nitrous info. Any comments on costs of the kit, installation and nitrous itself? It seems like a cost efficient way of getting the performance you want short of a complicated turbo set up or an expensive engine buildup.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JackDak said:
Thanks for nitrous info. Any comments on costs of the kit, installation and nitrous itself? It seems like a cost efficient way of getting the performance you want short of a complicated turbo set up or an expensive engine buildup.
Its very cost efficient. In the whole time I have had it (2 years or so), I haven't spent anywhere near what a turbo+tune time would cost. I was lucky and got the kit used for $350, then I put a bottle heater to good use ($120) and got a purge ($100) for it. Those two items are pretty much a must. At retail, I have about $775 invested in the hardware for the kit. I fill my own nitrous bottles, so I pay about 1.50 per pound for it, plus I lease the 50lb bottle for $65/year. If I only went through 1 bottle per month and didn't sell any, I would still come out ahead instead of paying $3/pound at every speed shop around here.

I installed the kit myself...its very simple, and the looks it gets are great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thats all I wanted to know. Very nice set up. My Dak runs faster than any of the small/medium sized trucks but some of the full sized ones are pushing 400hp stock now. This is the equalizer I need to level the playing field.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.