DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with the SMRtrans shift kit?

I am experiencing shifting and TCC lock-up problems following a rebuild; I have replaced everything else on this transmission, so the only thing I can thing of that could be causing these problems is the SMRtrans shift kit.

Best I can tell, the SMR trans shift kit is a hybrid of a superior shift kit and a sonnax 4-spool switch valve (part# 22771A-01).........the provided instructions seem to have some of the same text and illustrations of the Superior instructions, but completely omits the instructions for increasing the exhaust port of the seperator plate recommended by Sonnax.

Regards,
Rich

·
bigkuntry72
648 Posts
i would really like to know also. i have one in the box ready to be installed. i have an smr 2800 stall converter on my 97 with the 408. just havent gotten around to takin the truck in ( im clueless when it comes to trannys) but i was told it will really make the converter perform better. but i wont do it if its gonna lead to problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been up and down multiple forums trolling for any info related to SMR.....there is not much out there.....and what there is....isn't good.

I am currently looking to order a stock valve body to replace the VB with the SMR shift kit. My truck has been tossing the p1740 code since the rebuild, and has recently stopped upshifting while in "D". I have been troubleshoooting this thing for over 6 months, and all indications now point to the VB. If the new VB fixes these problems, then I would strongly discourage putting it in, since I am positive that I installed it per the provided instructions (and then some).

You might want to hold off until you find a positive review from someone else, or wait until I can report back with the outcome of my VB adventure (most likely near the end of Jan 2008).

Regards,
Rich

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
have you tried contacting the vendor / manufacturer?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
chizzle1 said:
have you tried contacting the vendor / manufacturer?
I have contacted Pat Storey a couple times regarding the issue, he assured me it wasn't the VB....which is why it has taken this long to try a different VB. They have not been extremely responsive either, it took a couple weeks for them to answer my question....and when they did, they answered it wrong which forced me to go back in again to fix it.

See http://www.dodgetrucks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=85082&highlight=

If you do decide to put it in make sure you don't lose or damage the instructions that come with it......mine where blurry to start with, and then I spilled some ATF+4 on it; I contacted them to request an electronic copy, and they would not provide one.

I would be happy to post the instructions that came with mine if anyone is interested.

Rich

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are the requested instructions...I apologize for the quality......some of it is my fault for spilling ATF on it, but in some sections it was that blurry to start with.

Enjoy!

If any part is too hard to read let me know and I can try and get a better scan, or I can translate it to you.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.