DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 Ram with 46re tranny rebuilt at 155000 ,the tranny shifts to quick,I pull a 14x6 utility trailer and this truck will not pull it in o/d,when it shifts into o/d it feels like you just put 10000 lbs.on it all at one time.I am exhausted at trying to figure this out.Need some advice fast.This truck has a 5.2l with186000 and 4.10gears and uses no oil.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey,

I have the same problem and currently trying to fix it.
Once it shifts into O/D it runs like the engine is being lugged and it want climb a small hill without shifting back into a lower gear. Its also seems to hop or jerk going down the road at a constant speed.

And here is what I have done to mine so far, to try and fix the problem and some background.

My fuel mileage went from 320miles on a tank to about 280miles on 1 tank..
My fan belt started squeeking.
And My crank started walking.

I talked to some technicians and they told me that my Main bearings were shot. And one of them even said that this could have been caused by the Torque converter being bad.

I just got done with a long weekend working on my 96' 1500 4x4. Replacing the Main bearings...
Come to find out.. I had to replace the crank too.. The Thrust bearing was completely worn on one side and started eating into the crank.. :(

So, I have replaced the crank and bearings and now the fan belt squeek is gone.
But I still have the same old slugish O/D..

I was going to replace the converter while I had the engine pulled, but No one could tell me which converter I need.. or even in stock.
So I had to use the old one..

I'm still looking into if this was the torque converters fault. and I'll let you know what I find out.
But everything is pointing towards the converter now..

Maybe someone here can help both of us out..

regards
Mike

just hope you catch the problem before you have the same problems as I did.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.