Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 Ram 5.2 5 speed 2wd

Truck has almost 180K. Prior maintainence quality is unknown.

Transmission has fresh fluid. It has always wanted to scrub a little between first and second, on the first few shifts of the morning.

Now that temperature has dropped a little, it is even worse. I hate forcing it and feeling teeth touching each other, but if not, it takes a solid 5 seconds with pressure on the shifter, before it will walk into second.

Am I just stuck, and chalk it up to high mileage transmission, and shift it gentle?
Do you think that synthetic fluid would make any difference? I replaced fluid a few weeks ago with standard parts store stuff.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Probably the syncro cones are worn, never seen the inside of the NV3500, but many of these cones are bronze, in any case they do wear as they accelerate the gears and layshaft to speed during changes. Often a synthetic can make things worse, although there's less drag, the better lubricity makes the syncronizers slower still.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there any movement inside the transmission when in nuetral, that would get the fluid moving, and speed up the warm up?

another way, will warming the truck up, speed up the warming of the transmission?

·
Registered
607 Posts
The input shaft and layshaft cluster spin when it's in neutral, so there's some drag through the oil, but the rate of heating will be pretty slow, and the bellhousing is deep enough and thinwalled enough that it doesn't conduct a lot of heat to the gearbox, so unless the box is working hard, it doesn't warm quickly.
Tried Double clutching? Worked well on my Saab, which with synthetic oil was very slow to shift when cold, but being built for such climates, had the gearbox in the same casing as the engine oil sump, so it warmed up soon anyway.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, but doesnt seem to help. It comes out of gear fine, but doesnt want to go into the next gear instantly. I can force it but I feel a litle bit of a grind, or I can apply a little and 3 to 5 seconds before it will slide into second gear.
I may try the synthetic to see if it makes any difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.