DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i just bought my durango today, 98 4x4, 5.2 with 98k miles.

i drove the car twice before i bought it and everything is fine other than the rear speed sensor. i drove it on the freeway and when i got to a light i hear a really quiet knocking coming from under the hood, the only time you can hear it is at idle, the truck runs great but it has a little knock at idle and i revved it a little bit but cant hear it when i start to rev it.

i searched and the only answer i could find was something about a purge solenoid, im a newbie with these trucks, so any info would be appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i took it for another ride, it doesnt make any noise untill you drive it for a little bit then come to a stop. i went and filled the tank up and i started it and it went away untill i drove for a minute.

when i got home i popped the hood while it is running and you cant hear it from the outside, if you crawl under the car you can faintly hear it, but its more noticeable in the car, and im confused on what it could be

·
Registered
533 Posts
It's the Evap canister purge solenoid, located on the fire wall. It makes a noise that travels through the firewall and that's what you here. Drive until you hear the noise, then disconnect it and the noise will go away. There's a Tsb about it, I just relocated mine by putting it on the engine. Just fabricate a bracket to hold it and your good to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if thats it, how come i can hear it slightly from underneath the car but not on the top where it is located, i hope you are right though because i only had this damn thing for a day and i dont want anything seriously wrong with it, well at least yet, lol.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Did you try my suggestion?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no, not yet because i really havnt had time, i had to work a double yesterday and today was payday and i had to take care of some stuff, i will do what you said tomorrow if i dont have to work all day, if i do, then ill do it saturday. im pretty sure your right because if its making the knocking noise and i shut off the truck, then start it back up right away, there is no knocking untill i drive it for a minute.

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
for that tsb, all you do is turn it upside down, and the nocking goes away. just remove it from it's post/bracket and reinstall it upside down. see if it goes away. should only take a second or two.

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
mr.nobody said:
you can try to take the belt off and see if it goes away, i had the same issue, turned out to be the air pump

CHRIS

The air pump? Metaphorically speaking for the engine?? ;)

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
i think he means the a/c compressor? ? ? possibly. . . .

but i'd try turning the purge selenoid upside down.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I tried turning it upside down and it didn't work.

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
unmount it and wrap the sucker in a towel and see if it's quiet. If so, maybe you could sandwich a chunk of rubber between the sol. and the firewall.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
damn, quite a few replies in one day.

i just got off of work today, so i wasnt able to do anything about it yet, but ill let you guys know tomorrow what i did once i get off of work tomorrow

·
Registered
533 Posts
ok

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
good luck. I hope you find it...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i just stuffed some foam over the screw that screws into the firewall and put some foam on the other stud to give it some cusion and so far i havnt heard any knocking so i think its all good.

replaced my rear speed sensor and now my speedo works at low rpms and no more brake and abs light, so im happy with everything now

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.