Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dang

I wish I would have known about the full size van sliding door problem before I bought this one

Had trouble with it before and now its a slightly different problem but ... here we go:

when I turn the handle to open the door, it doesn't "pop" open far enough for me to easily slide it back ...

it does open just a bit, but now I have to put my hand in the section of the door that has sprung open and pull it open more, so I can slide the door open

(imagine this: the handle is the on right hand side - when you turn the handle, the left hand side of the door pops open - its the left hand side that is not come out far enough)

is there a simple adjustment or should I just take it back to the shop ?

Attachments

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
I'm not 100% on the intricate workings of the sliders. My '85 is the first sliding door van I've ever owned and it works perfect.

Do you have a 2000 Ram Van service manual? Maybe I can scan a few pics of the slider when I get home this evening.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Here's the procedure for making minor and major adjustments to the slider door mechanisms. Looking at the pics out of the service manual, I don't see why that extender kit on Ebay wouldn't fit you van. I just bought a kit for my '85 and the parts are pretty much the same. The seller (oldspeedtees) is always listing more. Anyhoo here's the scans from the 2000 manual (thanks DCX!!!)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Did you resolve this issue, Ram Man. I just checked my door, and it pops out just fine, even with extender on it. It doesn't always close properly, but I think it's because of the extender. Sometimes I have to push rear of door into the catch, and then use the handle to pull the door shut, all the way.....

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Well???? :)

There's another one of those slider extenders on Ebay. It might be worth a shot for you to get one. If it doesn't work, you can always resell it.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Both of those are identical to the one I got. It should work, even though it's not exactly the same. There's a slight bend in my original. Hey Ram Man, does your slider squeak? Mine does, but I can't remember if it did before I changed the arm. It's like the whole door shimmies around squeaking and squawking.

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you know where the roller part on the top half that runs back and forth on the track is ?

(sorry, thats a terrbile grammatical sentence)

I noticed the other day, there is a lot of play in that, that causes a door rattle ...

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
I gotta lube the slider track on my '85. It's as dry as a bone....I'll use axle grease.

I've lots o rattles from the doors on my '85, I don't know if it's the slider or what.

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
in my particular case = it looks like there should have been something on the roller itself = I don't know

Can someone else look ? Is there rubber or nylon around the actual roller itself (up on the top) ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.