DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had an issue with wheel skins scratching their stock wheel finish? I'm debating on the skins but, want to make sure I can always fall back to the stock look without having to repair the stock wheel when removing the skin.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I haven't had them but am interested in a link to what you are talking about.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mdavis4444 said:
I haven't had them but am interested in a link to what you are talking about.
Search here for wheel skins and you'll find a ton of info... they're chrome plastic skins that clip onto your stock wheels.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
It was posted here or on another forum that there are metal clasps that grab the back sides of the stock wheels and they may scratch the wheels when putting them on or taking them off.

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
they also scratch the insides of the spokes. Duct tape or some sort of cloth tape like you find to put on hockey sticks etc will work well enough to resist the scratching. Goo-Gone will get the sticky off when you're ready to remove them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
YES- They will scratch and gouge the stock wheels. The shop has taken them off a few times for new brakes and tire rotation. They really f**k up your wheels.

If you take them off and on, be sure to check the clasps. They will work loose. One skin was loose because the shop didn't put the clasps back on right and then fell off the other week somewhere, so I took them all off. What a mess. It took awhile to get all the brake dust and crud off the wheels.

I'll be ordering another set this week because I can't afford a decent set of chrome wheels right now. You can get a set on eBay for $42 now

·
King Daddy D.O.G!!!
2,475 Posts
They scratched the hell out of mine too. Same thing happened, lost the clasps and ended up taking them off and hanging them on the wall in the garage.

Not sure yet if I should get new ones yet. I'm kicking around the idea of stripping the powder coat and re-doing them in gunmetal or black.

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
Yes, they scratch, I've got duct tape covering mine.
Living in the snowblet region $42 for the chrome look every year or so is a good investment considering you don't need a spare set of tires&rims or have to remount in the winter.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I used electrical tape and covered the metal clips on the wheelskins themselves. No scratches and I've removed them several times for tire rotation. No issues with them staying on either and no tape glue on my wheels.

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
The metal part of my skins is the spring to secure it to the rim, it doesn't contact it. It's the plastic lips that grab the wheel. That's why I taped the rims. There's several types of fasteners I was told.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.