DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else here ran into the problem of back ordered/ obsolete immobilizer modules on these trucks. I have an 06 dakota that someone attempted to steal and in the process destroyed the skim module. Took me over a month to find someone to hack the ECM with a tuner to even get the thing run. Because this solution is a hack the ECM is still sending a signal to the front control module that it needs to flash the lights and honk the horn. This is the way I have been driving it for a couple of weeks now. I did take out the horn relay and if I drive with the brights on all the time nobody can see the headlights flashing but I still look like an idiot driving down the road with my hazards on at all times. Of all the parts to stop making why something as critical and hard to substitute as the immobilizer module? I love my truck, I bought it 2 weeks before all this happened. The guy failed to steal my truck but thanks to dodge, I almost wish he had. If anyone thinks they can help me with this I would really appreciate it. I apologise for the long post but I felt this topic needed some context.

·
Red Trucker
2,241 Posts
All the time, but my truck is 3yrs older than yours lol. What engine do you have?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply. It is my understanding that a skim module can only be vin coded once. So you would need the ecm as well. I thought about going that route but the vin number would not match when I have to smog it next year. I know the vin can be rewritten in the ECM but then it would not match the skim module. At least this is my understanding. I have 20+ years experience as an auto tech but due to the sensitive nature of the information, (the opperational details of the anti theft system) this information is not easy to find. I feel like I have been on a search to find a wizard powerful enough to resurrect my truck. And the ones that have a mastery of chrysler anti theft are rare. I think that it is only taught from father to first born son. Anyway again another rant. I apologise I do understand that these forums are here for facts and not commentary but this has been a major issue in my life for nearly 2½ months. If my understanding is incorrect that would be great. Thanks again for your replies

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh by the way. Specs on the truck: 06 dodge dakota laramie quadcab.
2wd
4.7 (not h.o)
automatic trans

1 - 5 of 5 Posts