DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone suggested to get a skid plate/ radiator cover underneath my '03 SLT.

When you take a Durango offroad into the sanddunes (I live in Qatar - Middle east), changes are really high that the existing plastic cover gets stuck in deep sand, breaks off and ruins your radiator.

Anyone some ideas/pics off how to have something welded to protect this?

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
there are no skid plates that will protect the radiator. You can get a front receiver hitch and a skid plug. It does provide pretty good protection for the radiator. You can also get a true offroad bumper that may give better protection. If you are offroading around rocks, you should seriously consider getting the skid plates. There are 3. The front diff skid, transfer case skid, and gas tank skid.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem has been solved without any cost! How? well this problem only seems to happen to the latest model durango! And I've got the '03 model.

Apparently the newest model has less ground clearance than the previous model plus they have a kind of skirt on the front which will 4 sure dig in in any soft sand and breaks off. This way sand can easily pile up in the first skid plate for the exhaust manifold and breaks off where stones and all other debris will ruin your radiator. As told by a local '05 owner. According him the older models are land cruiser beaters in the sand!!!!!! So we will go for an nice trip coming friday to the inland sea through massive sand dunes, will post some pics!

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
just cause you have an 03, dont think that you have good radiator protection. The Gen 1 Durango radiator is highly vulnerable if you hit the nose of the vehicle in a dune.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'm quite aware of that fact and I thought that was the problem they were warning me of. But apparantly what happens to the new model is that when you are going over these small sandwaves you get on straight dandy high speed (ie 40-50 miles/hr) tracks the first skid plate underneath will came loos because the bolts will break due to vibrations and makes a lot of debris coming into the radiator etc.

The solution in soft sand wrt to our model is not to hit the dunes at high speed, and I'm not intending to do so!

Did you know that most of the big car manufactures test there offroad cars in the dessert here? Because the desserts are hot and dry! It seems that Toyota tested for a year their Prado because certain problems occured only here and they could not solve it. (told by the Volvo service manager who was part of the Toyota test team couple years ago).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.