DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to upgrade my head lights to silverstars. Are they easy to change out. On the old ford it was a simple twist and out came the housing. How do these work?

·
Absolutely
6,742 Posts
same way.......jsut might be easier on the driver's side to pull the headlight. if you dont you will might have to pull the fuse box to move it out of the way. i did on my 04

·
Spending
1,786 Posts
if its anything like the corner lights, theres a screw u undo (star type), then take the rubber holdings off the side of it... pull it towards you and it should slide out. When i did my corner lights there was enough room to remove the old bulbs and put in the new ones... keep me updated because this is my next mod so id like to know as much as i can. :) gl

·
Been HEMIphied
1,933 Posts
May want to consider GE NightHawks. Cost less, and they are brighter than the Silverstars. I had the Silverstars in for almost a year before one of them burned out. They were brighter than the stock bulbs. Went to replace them with Silverstars again, but Wallyworld was out of them, so I went with the GE NightHawks. Glad I did.

·
Registered
441 Posts
are the silverstars for the 06 out yet.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I put the silverstars in my '04, not impressed.
Easy to install, got to the left side from underneath

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Yes, for the headlight they are H13 I think and for the fog light are 9006 or 7 but check you manuel for the spec.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...just installed the Silverstars in both the fogs and the headlights..an I AM impressed with how much brighter they are....

·
Rollin On 4:56's
1,835 Posts
gettin them in isn't too bad. i had to pull both HL's. the ds was the pain because you really need to put a towel down on the apron part under the drivers HL to make sure you dont scratch it. i have silverstars in my heads, tails, parks, and fogs. I got stopped by a sherriff. he was in front of me flickin his rear view mirror switch. i was blinding the crap outta him. he said that i shouldnt be driving around with my brights on. i said, why do you think i have my highs on? he said, its a ballfield in my criuser! i just sat in the hemi and started bustin a gut laughing!!!! he has me get out, and i say for what? he says, because you a wise ass and im gunna embarass you infront of all these people going by. he starts to give me a sobriety test and i pass everything with such ease i said to him "can we do that again", that was fun!! now hes really pissed, he's redder than tomato sauce!!! so he tells me to sit back in the truck while he write me a summons for driving with my brights on(and all this time my headlights were on and the jerkweed didnt bother to look for himself). so i yell out my window to him from the hemi and say, ooops, i left my brights on, let me put them back to low beam. i tug the lever and yell out, well damn, i had my lows on all the time :). he said i'm still writing the summons, they will take my side of the story over yours anytime and you have no recourse.(this is the good part) i said excuse me officer, you may want to make a notation on that summons that these bulbs in my headlamps are "dot certified, street legal", and pulled out the empty bulb packs. he said you can take off now, but i know what you look like, and i know your truck. you will do something stupid sooner or later. i told him i do something stupid at least once a day. them i told him to enjoy his evening, and i left.

my point in all of this is these bulbs are sooooooooooooooooooo bright for dot street bulbs, people are always mistaking my low beams for high until you bright'em back and the idiots realize you had you lows on!!! i have had these in just over a year now, and they are phenomenal!!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Mazz said:
May want to consider GE NightHawks. Cost less, and they are brighter than the Silverstars. I had the Silverstars in for almost a year before one of them burned out. They were brighter than the stock bulbs. Went to replace them with Silverstars again, but Wallyworld was out of them, so I went with the GE NightHawks. Glad I did.
I agree here. GE's cost half as much as Silverstars and they last much, much longer. I went through five or six Silverstar bulbs over two years in my last car. Since I replaced them with NightHawks, they're not only brighter (and cheaper) but they've lasted over a year without a single problem. Do yourself a favor and skip the Silverstars...you won't regret it.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
VengefulHemi said:
my point in all of this is these bulbs are sooooooooooooooooooo bright for dot street bulbs, people are always mistaking my low beams for high until you bright'em back and the idiots realize you had you lows on!!! i have had these in just over a year now, and they are phenomenal!!!
maybe the problem is that theyre aimed too high, try turning them down just a little bit.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
I always hear this stuff about peoples SIlverstars only lasting a year etc etc. But mine have been in for 2 years with no problems at all. I had one foglight burn out about 6 months ago I guess. I ended up buying some StreetGlow 9005s and replaced my fogs with those though. I have no problems though. But maybe I will give the GE's a shot next time.

On a side note, have you guys seen the commercials for the new Silverstars? I think they are called SIlverStar extremes or Ultra or something like that. I guess they are supposed to be even brighter, farther reaching than the other silverstars. Perhaps its their way to step up and over the GE's?

KB

·
Registered
595 Posts
I’ve got SliverStars in my Jeep. Love’em. Havn’t installed them in the RAM yet. I don’t know why some people are having problems with them burning out. The bulbs in my Jeep have been in there for about two years now and not a signal problem.

When you install them, make SURE you do not touch the bulbs with your fingers. The oils from your fingers will leave a film on the bulb and will cause them to burn out much sooner. Use a pair of latex gloves when installing them.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
In my 06 I have silverstars H13 in my low/high bulb... and in my fog bulbs I have Siverstar Ultra 9005 model...

Im extremely impresed with the fog bulbs, but with the high/lows the differnce isnt much, but worth it for only $40 instead of $400 for a set of HIDs with His and lows on the H13 model bulb

·
"I'll go all in."
626 Posts
I put silverstars in my truck... to stock theres no comparison. They were easy to install, haven't had any issues with mine yet, and they deffinitely brightened up the road for me. I was thinking about going with the new silverstars when the time comes... but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Just bought the Silverstars and installed them in my truck. Cant wait till night to see how much of a difference there is.

·
1,835 Posts
simioh said:
maybe the problem is that theyre aimed too high, try turning them down just a little bit.
no, my hemi is leveled with spacers.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
How do you get the GE NightHawks. I went to the website and I couldn't see where were they at or how to get them.

·
Registered
356 Posts
VengefulHemi said:
no, my hemi is leveled with spacers.
Maybe therein lies the problem. The truck comes with the ass end up about two inches higher than the front. When you level it, the headlights are then tilted slightly upward. I noticed this when I dropped my truck.

Mojoman, I got my GE NightHawks at Walmart for $20.

·
1,835 Posts
JeremyJ said:
Maybe therein lies the problem. The truck comes with the ass end up about two inches higher than the front. When you level it, the headlights are then tilted slightly upward. I noticed this when I dropped my truck.

Mojoman, I got my GE NightHawks at Walmart for $20.
truck is fine like it is.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.