DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I currently have aftermarket bulbs in my headlights, but I would like them to be brighter. I figure I will get Silverstars when I get the cleared headlights. Any particular place to buy the Silverstars? They are pretty pricey aren't they? How much difference between stock and them?

·
Registered
52 Posts
those lights suck. they only lasted 6 months in my truck. pissed me off. the stock ones lasted 2 years. best luck i have had for bright headlights is PIAA. they too are expensive, but they last much longer and are brighter.

·
Unregistered User
3,491 Posts
I have the silverstars and they're noticeable brighter down dark roads. I've had mine since March or so and haven't had any problems. Knock on wood....

I do believe that the projected life expectancy of the silverstars is one year. Some people have better luck and some have worse.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
3 weeks for my first SilverStar, two weeks later the other side went out. Back to factory lights for me, never have had one burn out yet in the last 7 trucks

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Philips vision plus 50%. These bulbs are 50% brighter than stock and have more of a white light.They shoot out 10 to 20 meters farther than stock and dont have the cheap blue tint around the bulb like silverstars.(bulbs are clear like the stock ones).I had mine for about 2 years no problem and only been flashed a few times since.
BTW they wont burn your wires also. www.aidauto.com run about $25.00 bucks a pair.

·
--> UNITY <--
2,417 Posts
had no problems with my silverstars yet, I too will knock on wood. Cheapest is eBay - 2 for $20 or so. I have them all for my heads, turns, and fogs.......

·
Unregistered User
3,491 Posts
Everyone acts like the OEM bulbs are a much better quality. They're actually made by Sylvania, just like the Silverstars. The Silverstars are a better line of bulbs by the same manufacturer.

With any bright burning halogen bulb, they will burn out in a shorter period of time. But typically not 6 months and certainly not 3 weeks.

Those of you that are burning them out within 3-5 weeks and even 6 months probably didn't follow the instructions. You are to never touch the bulb of a bright burning halogen light with your bare fingers. The oils from your skin will greatly shorten the life of the bulb.

I handled mine with tissue paper or by the plastic base and mine have lasted thus far.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got the bulbs from 3x racing when I got my head lights, type r bulbs, very bright and looks good off reflecting the blue.

·
Hibernating
3,114 Posts
lassenloop said:
With any bright burning halogen bulb, they will burn out in a shorter period of time. But typically not 6 months and certainly not 3 weeks.

Those of you that are burning them out within 3-5 weeks and even 6 months probably didn't follow the instructions. You are to never touch the bulb of a bright burning halogen light with your bare fingers. The oils from your skin will greatly shorten the life of the bulb.
Great comments here...I use SilverStars in my truck and car and after 18 months they are still going strong in my car...and I don't touch the bulbs.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
I've had my SIlverstars in for almost a whole year since I have had my truck. I had them on my '02 Ram as well. I bought them for cheap off of Ebay, Fogs and Heads for about $55-$60 total. They lasted well on my other truck as well.

With some of the cheapo Xenon bulbs I kept having problems. They burned up quickly, one even exploded in my lens housing. May have been because my finger had touched it like Lassen said. But I kept getting lamp out warnings, only one bulb would turn on when I turned on the lights. I had to flick the switch to off/on like 3 times before both bulbs fired up. Happened continually on me, until I bought silverstars. They went in and worked like a charm. Plus they are one of Sylvanias highest quality bulbs, they make our stock bulbs as well.

KB

·
Banned
7,195 Posts
krs said:
Philips vision plus 50%. These bulbs are 50% brighter than stock and have more of a white light.They shoot out 10 to 20 meters farther than stock and dont have the cheap blue tint around the bulb like silverstars.(bulbs are clear like the stock ones).I had mine for about 2 years no problem and only been flashed a few times since.
BTW they wont burn your wires also. www.aidauto.com run about $25.00 bucks a pair.
sounds good krs

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
lassenloop said:
Everyone acts like the OEM bulbs are a much better quality. They're actually made by Sylvania, just like the Silverstars. The Silverstars are a better line of bulbs by the same manufacturer.

I handled mine with tissue paper or by the plastic base and mine have lasted thus far.
I have been using halogen bulbs for over 20 years and know how to handle them, both mine where gone within 5 weeks and they won't be going into any truck of mine anytime soon

·
Registered
584 Posts
krs said:
"cheap blue tint?" i have the silverstars and they only have a blue tint to them if you see them from far away, honestly i wish it had more of a blue tint to them but they look nice, vision is far better than stock and i've had mine in for a little over 6 months without one problem. but to each his own. i wanted better vision and a cooler look, some people just want better vision, but why not have both :D

·
HEMINATOR
1,131 Posts
YEP DO NOT TOUCH THE BULBS WITH YOUR HANDS, or any part of your body. The oils will shorten the life of the bulb. I have had mine on for a while and no probs. I had a fog go out, but it was the one i had mistakenly touched with my fingers. Later......

·
RamFever
601 Posts
Got my Silverstars at Autozone and they are definately brighter than stock, have people coming towards me at night flashing their lights thinking I have my brights on.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Hemidriver04345 said:
"cheap blue tint?" i have the silverstars and they only have a blue tint to them if you see them from far away, honestly i wish it had more of a blue tint to them but they look nice, vision is far better than stock and i've had mine in for a little over 6 months without one problem. but to each his own. i wanted better vision and a cooler look, some people just want better vision, but why not have both :D
True, I didn't mean to knock the look of silverstars I think they look great. The cheap blue tint I was referring to was on the bulb. This will actually rob light. Check out danielsternlighting.com for info about which bulbs are best. I know silverstars are brighter than stock but in no way match for philips vision 50%.
Forgot to mention who's interested in these bulbs.Most local stores carry the philips vision plus 30%. Make sure they are not the 30% and are the 50%. I had a hard time finding these tell I emailed philips and got the website to order them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.