DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
GROUNDED
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as of recently my truck as been kinda sluggish and it now makes a sound that kinda sounds like an exhaust leak when i accelerate and pops when i decelerate. I dont remember it popping as much as it does now but it does none the less. Im leaning towards clogged cat. so im probably going to have to either replace it with a high flow model or get an o2 simm and gut it. Im gonna do plugs this week and see how they look and then go from there. Btw any one know the autolite plug number for stock heat range and not 3923's?

·
Registered
138 Posts
can you smell sulfur
could be a leak in your y pipe they rot there ive had to redo alot at my old work
or a crack in you manifold or you could have blown out your o2 or crack around it
or i might be way off
but i would say try plugs wires,coil wire,coil

good luck man

·
Registered
994 Posts
5923, i believe

·
Registered
607 Posts
Stock plugs are 5224, they are the long nose versions of 3924s, which are generally taken as helping ping a little in their own right since the spark's a little further out from center.

·
GROUNDED
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i already have new...

Bosch wires
cap and rotor
IAC

Will have new plugs this week some time. I laready have the 3923 but its pretty cool up here except a few days in the summer and im worried that these may be too cold.

all of this work basically comes down to me wanting to solve my stalling/low idle issue i have when im light on the throttle going up a small hill and then at the top let off, the idle drops to below 250 or stalls alltoghether. its getting old and i need to get my buddies snap on scan tool to see what the hell is up.

The cat needs to go bye bye anyways because it drags so i was either going to adapt a longer and narrower one that is single in and out instead of the y in and single out to save space. another question i have is how well the 02 simms work because it smells like im running somewhat rich now?

my third and last idea is a serpentine belt issue with either the belt being stretched or the tensioner being shot. Could this affect timing and cause too much gas to be dumped and then cause flooding or something?

·
Registered
138 Posts
if you smell rich your o2 is messed i would say up stream, mine smelled rich to then i swaped my up stream o2 and it helped , i gutted my cat and have had np with it now
but if you are draging it then cuter out man run a sim summit has a few i think

·
Registered
266 Posts
Big Joe-- partial answer-serp belt will not affect your timing at all- I'll go along with the 02 sensor replies but, if you want to check your cat, pull the front 02 sensor out wire it out of the way and drive the truck. If it runs better, it wont run perfect, with the front 02 out of the hole, you have a plugged cat. Its gonna be noisy but take it up that hill and see what happens. HTH

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
with the popping I would guess an O2 sensor.
Reason I say that is mine does the popping if I wind it up and back off when it's still cold (o2 sensors not reading yet).
Once it's warmed up it doesn't do it.
Would hate to see you spend $$ on a high flow cat and still have the problem.
Is the CEL on?

·
GROUNDED
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes the title is a little misleading. My truck will pop if i wind it up on the highway and let off the throttle or just putting around town. Od on or off it will still do it. I was thinking its about time for a new 02 anyways and i was gonna get a fastman simm, then gut the cat and fold up that pinch weld on the bottom for clearence. Its already raised uptighter to the tranny which reminds me that this winter i need to hit those pipes with some hig temp exhaust paint and then heat wrap them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
kennethpruett said:
This looks like a good thread and all but just had to jump in and say that the title seemed off topic at first glance. :huh: :thatfunny

KP
I think you were thinking what I was thinking when I saw the title. I have had animals taking up residence in my engine bay a couple of times but never had a cat before. I heard about that happening though.

·
GROUNDED
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so i put in my new bosch o2 sensor and ill see how it performs tomorrow, i couldnt get my truck to temp tonight in the quick cruise i took. it still wants to poop out on my coming up my driveway at slow speeds. I dont know where to look next? Ill see what happens after plugs this weekend and then go from there

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you have access to a non-contact laser thermometer you can check the temp on the input and output side. The output should be higher than the input. If the output is more than 50 degrees or so higher, the cat MAY be bad. I think Autozone or Advance Auto will loan you the thermometer for free.

·
******* Yankee
2,509 Posts
kennethpruett said:
This looks like a good thread and all but just had to jump in and say that the title seemed off topic at first glance. :huh: :thatfunny

KP
I was thinking that too. To answer the question....typically it won't be moving. :werd: I'm sorry I HAD to say it.

·
******* Yankee
2,509 Posts
Silver_DodgeRam said:
Here is a sign.
:thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny

·
Yea boooyeee!
1,996 Posts
Sounds like the same crap mine was doing, but being a manual it was REALLY BAD. I replaced the IAC, helped alot, replace the O2 helped even more (fixed my 8 MPG back to 14MPG) But I think my cat is pluggin up, cause it still stinks when I run the truck hard. Going to get that Magnaflow Y pipe setup

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.