DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove an 08 Hemi QC today. First time for me and the Hemi and I liked it. the truck stickers for 40,600. They offered me 8k off that price and a good deal on my trade. Giving me what it books for (trade in value) with Kelly Blue Book. I tried to get more of course but the sales manager says that is what the Ram cost the dealer and they could not go any lower.

Can someone offer some advice? I love the truck, silver, auto 4x4, bucket seats, nearly everything except leather!

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
Doesn't sound too bad, considering the times. A friend of mine just traded his '03 QC on a KIA Optima. They gave him a paltry $8K for his trade. All the other offers were <$5K. Go to Edmund's and see what they think your trade is worth and what the new one should be.

·
SupermaXX Hemi
840 Posts
have you not been reading some of the post on this web site they are taking 12-15000 off of trucks sometimes even more.

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
a dodge dealer here took off 10000 off any ram 1500 in stock and i think that could of went to 12000

loco

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I heard of the 10-12k deals but.....and a big butt.....what are the guys getting for the trade in? Cause I have went through this b4. A big discount off a sticker price but they rip you on the trade. They are offering me 17,500 for my 06 silverado which books just for that. I love the truck. Has some options which are hard to find, and it is silver. Not too many silver one's left in the area. Guess I will sleep on it.

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
you are getting a good deal i was offered 11000 for my 06 quad with the rebate and looks like a good trade in you are getting between 10000 to 12500 off

just my 2 cents

loco

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was one that replied I got 15000 off sticker and since you brought it up in here I will go into more detail. I traded in a 2004 Toyota Tacoma QC 2WD. They came off 10K right as I came onto the lot. The other 5K came with an offer of 5K over what KBB trade in value was for the truck.

I think you did an awesome thing by walking out of the dealership. Now we have to teach you patients. Sure you want it and equipped the way you like and hell its even the color but I promise you sit on it and even call them tomorrow and tell them you want another 2K-3K off. Just set a price in your head and stalk them until they cave and they will cave you just have to stick to the price and keep going back.

·
Absolutely
6,742 Posts
MCSEDanny said:
I was one that replied I got 15000 off sticker and since you brought it up in here I will go into more detail. I traded in a 2004 Toyota Tacoma QC 2WD. They came off 10K right as I came onto the lot. The other 5K came with an offer of 5K over what KBB trade in value was for the truck.

I think you did an awesome thing by walking out of the dealership. Now we have to teach you patients. Sure you want it and equipped the way you like and hell its even the color but I promise you sit on it and even call them tomorrow and tell them you want another 2K-3K off. Just set a price in your head and stalk them until they cave and they will cave you just have to stick to the price and keep going back.
Remeber those words, and remeber they want to sell you the truck more then you want to buy the truck. The biggest thing you can do to help your self is to not settle for something that you dont want. But it is also your money and your decision, if you are happy with the deal then that is all that matters

·
Registered
256 Posts
They should be able to give you that $1k - they have all kinds of incentives they're not telling you about.

$16K for that Chevy is a great trade in deal these days.

Post a pic when you get your Ram home. ;)

·
Bill3491
570 Posts
jtruck618 said:
Drove an 08 Hemi QC today. First time for me and the Hemi and I liked it. the truck stickers for 40,600. They offered me 8k off that price and a good deal on my trade. Giving me what it books for (trade in value) with Kelly Blue Book. I tried to get more of course but the sales manager says that is what the Ram cost the dealer and they could not go any lower.

Can someone offer some advice? I love the truck, silver, auto 4x4, bucket seats, nearly everything except leather!
I used to sell new cars. The best deals were had by the people that followed these or most of these:

1).Know you target price and figure their dealer fee into it (Can be $199- $899-higher). It's pure profit. Know the vehicle you are looking at, what the incentives are and be realistic. You won't get a current year vehicle with sticker of 40K for 23K. Also, "invoice" price is crap.
2).Patience-Be ready to walk away and sleep on it. ALWAYS keep a cool head and NEVER get angry and combative.
3).No trade-no financing. Negotiate on the price straight up. You will get more for your old vehicle + you will be financing less + at a lower rate = lower payment.
---If possible sell your own vehicle and rent a car if you need to. You will save $$$$. Especially with a truck. Today, trucks are just sitting on the lot and they don't want them.
---Get financing at your bank or better yet, join a credit union (lowest rates).
4).Don't let them see you fall in love with the vehicle. Remain indifferent. You just need some wheels.
5).Pit the two biggest dealers in town against each other (they hate each other). Don't say the vehicle you are looking at at the other dealership is exactly the same. Tell them you like the color of theirs better and would rather deal with their dealership, but.........money is the bottom line. They will work harder to tilt the table their way.
6).ESPECIALLY IN THIS ECONOMY---shop during the last few days of the month or the end of the last day of a holiday weekend. July 4th??? Dealerships live in a month to month #'s world. There is an incredible push at the end of each month or holiday to hit sales #'s. Dealers will try and make the most per vehicle the first few weeks, then will make stupid deals while they scramble the last week to meet sales #'s. Dealerships can make more per new vehicle if they sell more. The best deals I ever saw were at the end of the month or holiday weekend!! Best time during the summer is at the beginning of September during the holiday weekend.

-I purchased my 06 Ram 1500 Nightrunner (sticker $36K) 3 days before Christmas 06 from Carmax Dodge in Orlando (they "had" 2 new car dealerships) for $24,875 and their dealer fee was $125.

-Personally, the $8K you are offered is simply incentive cash ($5K + $3K) that's available to everyone and there is another $400 dealer marketing support cash. I would subtract that from the sticker then figure how much more I wanted. I would look in the are of $28-$30K depending on how much I want it and what their dealer fee is. Hope this helps.

·
or no car
1,269 Posts
ive always wondered this and maybe someone can answer but why is it that dealers inflate the price of vehicles in the first place? i mean all the other goods we buy are at a set price. why are vehicles different? it would be so much easier, but maybe not cheaper to walk into a dealership and see the sticker and either buy it or not. no negotiations. no hassles.

·
Fromunda
733 Posts
Dealer cost doesn't mean $hit. He's gonna get all kinds of incentives and bonuses at the end of the year. Don't settle for anything less than full trade value for your truck, and at least 10k off sticker. I got nearly 12k off sticker when I bought in march.

·
Registered
488 Posts
my 08 stickered at the same price as yours. they came down to 29k with a spray in rhino liner without me even walking out of the place. i had already got trade in values from all the dealers around town the previous week so i knew what my old truck was worth and didn't even mention it untill i had the price on the new truck already worked out. they came within 1k of what i wanted for my trade so i took it because the old truck was having some trans issues, and would have cost me that 1k to fix right and get full market value.

·
Getting my life back!
945 Posts
i just traded my 06 1500 r/c ST for my 08 q/c and i got the incentives and they ended up giving what i wanted for my trade...first they offered me 6250 which just felt like a slap in the face. i told him no deal and began to get up out of my seat. he said just wait and i'll see what i can do. he came back w/ 10,000 which is what the kelly blue book value was...it just didn't get my payment where i wanted it, so i told my wife to get the carseat out of the q/c and put it back in my old truck, and i told him to have a nice day and went back outside to my truck. he ran back out and said hold on his manager was taking another look at it. manager came out with 14,000 for my trade...i then struck a deal..lol. they had 08 models w/ power locks and window, none of which mine had for 13,500. so i figure i made an extremely good deal for once in my life! point of the story is they can give you what they want for your trade if you stick in there...if they want your business bad enough!

·
Same Name, Different Game
9,640 Posts
If they won't come down a $1,000 for you, make them give you a $1,000 worth of add on's that you want (Line-X, Nerf Bars, Tonnau Cover, etc). That would make it worth your while then.

·
Registered
312 Posts
rzrbackhemi said:
ive always wondered this and maybe someone can answer but why is it that dealers inflate the price of vehicles in the first place? i mean all the other goods we buy are at a set price. why are vehicles different? it would be so much easier, but maybe not cheaper to walk into a dealership and see the sticker and either buy it or not. no negotiations. no hassles.
believe it or not - other stuff we buy isn't at a set price. It's completely legal for you to suggest a lower price on anything you buy. For example, if you went to subway to get a $5 footlong, but you only have $3, you can ask them if it's ok for you to only pay $3, and if they say it's ok, then that's perfectly legal.

But to answer your question, I read somewhere that some astounding number like 48% of all new car buyers actually pay sticker, or MORE than sticker (for brand new models, rare options, etc).

I bought my truck in october for approx $24k (sticker was $31k) - I think I could have gotten the same truck now for $22k or less.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the advice. I figured the dealer would of called me by now but no such luck. I will wait until Monday and go back again with the wife. Im going to the dealer in town today who has sales prices hanging in the window of their Rams. Most are marked down 8900-9100k. So, I will see what kind of deal they can give me. Problem is, they do not have the truck I want. Guess I will see what I can work out. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
jtruck618 said:
Thanks for all the advice. I figured the dealer would of called me by now but no such luck. I will wait until Monday and go back again with the wife. Im going to the dealer in town today who has sales prices hanging in the window of their Rams. Most are marked down 8900-9100k. So, I will see what kind of deal they can give me. Problem is, they do not have the truck I want. Guess I will see what I can work out. Thanks guys.
If you want a new truck, you should get what you want and don't settle for what is on the lot. I couldn't find the truck I wanted in a nationwide search, so I ordered mine from David Lantz (Freelantz here on DT) and got a much better deal than you are looking at currently. Dealerships are offering up to $15k off trucks here in Houston recently.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.